TA All Arms Commando Course

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by slimpig, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently joined the TA medical services and have been considering doing P company, but I would rather try to complete the commando course.
    Is there a specific TA All Arms Commando Course?
    Who can do it?
    How long does it take?
    Can officers do it?
    etc etc

2. Hi mate

My experience of working with TA Commandos has been with 289 Bty in East Ham london who are an attached arm for 29 Cdo Royal Artillery based in Plymouth. There is also a sapper TA Cdo unit but the location etc escapes me at this time. I also remember RNR medical officers attempting the course via the RMR but were very unsuccesful for one reason or another. My advice might be to speak to Ninja Stoker on here ot indeed have a chat with your local RMR unit (where do you live??) as there have been a number of TA bods who have transferred over to the RMR for one reason or another. A TA L.I Lieutenant at the time was so impressed by us that he binned his old unit and got his green lid and is now the O.C of a particular Det somewhere near london. Not sure where your medical training will fit in other than R.M.M.A but as i said this is something you will need to find out.

Hope this helps

XRD

3. TA Cdo Sappers are (or were) 131 Indpt Cdo Sqn RE (V) based out of London (HQ), Plymouth, Birmingham and Bath. Soon to be replaced by 24 Cdo Regiment RE (c. 2010) based out of Barnstaple, Devon. Further info here

PNG

4. Thank you PNG i did a tour of Norway with them but couldn't remember the unit number etc!!

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Slimpig (cool name for an occifer by the way) go for it.

Stacks of pot noodles and you'll be fine, dont overkill yourself on the phys side to start with, there's a great article in the Globe and Buster (Corps magazine) about the AACC, try and get a copy mate and read it.

6. Just to add some further grist to this particular mill.

On the whole, the system does not like badge collectors, and you will need a very good reason to do the course, like being in a Cdo roled reservist unit. These are, as previously said: RMR, 131 Indep Cdo Sqn RE, 266 Cdo Bty RA (Bristol) and a Petroleum Troop RLC in Guz.

I suggest you contact the TA All Arms Watchkeepers Pool, as they have some (currently empty) LSNs for watchkeepers for 3 Cdo Bde. These wld have some sort of a justification for being Cdo trained. Then approach OC 131 and ask him if you can train with them. I wld expect the Watchkeepers to want dome sort of return of servce from you BTW, I can let you have a contact there if you like.

Or much better, why not re-role as RMR? I am sure that you cld fill a GD LSN and then deploy as a Doctor. I cld probably broker this with the key pers within RMR and Bde, if you are interested.

7. 1664 - What a great offer of help. Nice one :thumright:

Slimpig, Let us know how you get on. Us old buggers are always interested in any new roles and opportunities created in the Corp. I'm especially interested because my OC F Coy 41 Cdo once tried to help me get me onto an MAs course which I had requested doing in 76 after hearing of the shortage of MAs taking the AACC. I tried once again when I was in 40, but once again the idea was far to radical for the time. The reason given was always along the lines of 'A GD marine could not possibly go off and do a year long course!' :) I became a PW in the end.

P.S. What is an LSN, GD or otherwise? ... (something)Surgical Nurse? ...?

8. Bootnecks with medical equipment other than an FFD?? Shock horror!!! It's actually good to see Royal is getting some advanced training other than the F.A's course i did whilst in the Corps.

9. LSN: Line Serial Number Royal! Every job now has an LSN including, I suppose, Capt General and CG!!!!!

10. Thanks for the advice and the offers of help............ there is a slight problem in that I am enrolling as a veterinery officer - not a doctor!!!There is probably even less call for commandos wearing arm length gloves!!

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The lads will love you sorting out all the dog/donkey/horse related enquireys after a run ashore... :rofl:

12. You could always be the Lympstonia Adjudtant's personal Ostler/Groom, he's got a hoofin' girt pony.
    NZB

13. Whilst perusing the Daily Torygraphs archives I came across this bizarre letter which offers some hope to Slimpig.

The Editor
    The Daily Torygraph
    Fleet Street,
    London
    W1

10 October 1946

Dear Sir,
    It was with great sadness that I read your Military Correspondents article regarding the demise of the Commando Section of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.
    The story of these bold men who set forth across the sea to raid the pigeon coops, kennels and catteries of the enemy in the late war, may not be told for some years due to secrecy issues but I am sure that in future years a need for Commando trained Vets will become all to apparent.
    Just as the Bosche relied heavily on highly trained carrier pigeons and vicious guard dogs to subdue the Continent, our former allies The Soviet Union have shown their ability to train dogs with high explosive strapped to their backs to attack tanks.
    Pavlovs ability to induce dogs to salivate at the ringing of a bell should set alarm bells ringing in the corridors of Whitehall, what else might Uncle Joe Stalins minions be up to in the field of animal research.
    The very men who could have found out have been packed off back into Veterinary practice and their hard won Commando fighting skills will wither on the vine, a very short term saving will see the free world imperiled in the long term.
    Yours sincerely
    Reginald Tuffton-Buffton.

Major R. Tuffton-Buffton RAVC (Rtd),
    Mistyeyed Mansions,
    Sutton,
    Surrey.

14. And don't 45 still have their dog section?

15. Aye. I 'volunteered' to be a baiter for them, it was a week long course at RAVC HQ Melton Mowbray (Sp??) learning how to let a German Shepherd bite your arm.
    Pulled a WRAC kennel maid on my first night, shagged her rotten in her grot (her mate wouldn't join in, LEZZER!!) and got caught debunking from WRAC grots by a Regimental Policeman doing his early AM rounds. Extra parades etc for a week, oh how I laughed...didn't get caught again though as I took her to my grot!!
    Vet Corps blokes dripped like feck that they couldn't get any sleep, too busy w@#!$g to the action in my pit. What a dirty little fecker I was.
    NZB