T45 Sampson on a hill in Pompey??

aljh

MIA
Lads and lasses,

I was on a train on the way to Pompey today, looked out to the North and saw what looked very much like the radar set up for T45. However, it wasn't in the water, it was on top of a hill.
Anyone any ideas?

The_Jimmy

War Hero
Where I am I cant see the hill in Pompey, but if I may suggest it may be the T45 radar training centre? At least thats what it says in this magazine I am reading "Warship" :w00t:

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
dunkers said:
Portsdown Hill. Defence Science and Technology Laboratory facility.
www.dstl.gov.uk

Hate to be a smart @rse... actually I like it, I get paid for it. Anyway, Dstl are in Portsdown West further along the hill (past Fort Nelson). The Type 45-a-like building is the Maritime Integration and Support Centre (MISC), which is owned and run by BAE SYSTEMS; the site is QinetiQ's Land Based Test Site, and they operate the other radars and kit there.

Until last year, the tactical development and operational analysis element of the Maritime Warfare Centre were in the building next door to that lot (it looks like a row of chalets, but they're linked along the north end), but we've since moved to Collingwood - so if you call me at work you no longer hear the 1022 zapping me every 7.5 seconds ;)

chockhead819

War Hero
Is there a mock up in Cumbria, around one of the gunnery ranges?
I have been on the train to Barrow & passed something that also looked like a 45 radar.

War Hero
TheLastStoker said:
Am i wrong in thinking that there is also a mock up of the type 42 radar systems there as well.......or was i drunk!

Used to be known as Land Based Test Site and has test and integration facilities for each of the major surface combat systems. The T45 is the first one that's been put in a superstructure.

Looks impressive but anything produced by BAE/QuinetiQ either doesn't do what it says on the tin or takes so long to be operational its out of date when the snags have finally been sorted.
Or is it just me being cynical ?????

Latest Threads