T23's to stay in service for 32-36 years

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Oil_Slick, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They're having a laugh!

Well, looks like the Navy is going to be seeing it's first self recycling class of ships.
  2. Re: T23's to saty in service for 32-36 years

Cant see the problem m8e. They still float don't they? kushty accom and equipment their a love boat. You seen a 42 now thats pants!
  3. Re: T23's to saty in service for 32-36 years

42 wasn't built with a 16 year design life, a tad more 'durable' methinks.
  4. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Have you got a link for this?
  5. OMG is this a joke?
    They are the most shocking "ships" we have the misfortune to run.
    Utter rubbish.
  6. Flicking through Janes today…
  7. An "old" shipmate of mine was on standby for the Norfolk during build. Talking to one of the Jock dockies, he asked what the ship was like to build. Expecting a complimentary response and thinking that he was proud of his work, the dockyard matey's reply was less than enthusiastic to say the least. No wonder they were initially called the Skoda class. £50m each compared to the then price of £250 for a batch 3 22.
  8. from another forum:

Name Out-of-service date
    HMS Argyll

HMS Lancaster

HMS Iron Duke

HMS Monmouth

HMS Montrose

HMS Westminster

HMS Northumberland

HMS Richmond

HMS Somerset

HMS Sutherland

HMS Portland

HMS Kent

HMS St Albans

Name Out-of-service date
    HMS Cornwall

HMS Cumberland

HMS Campbeltown

HMS Chatham
  9. From Janes

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Extending the life of these ships sounds like a paper exercise as I do not detect from this thread any measures actually to make the ships last longer. The plumbers are going to have a ball trying to keep these ships going in the 2020s if my 1960s recollections of the inadequacy of ships not then yet twenty years old is anything to go by. Relying on old ming could be costly and unpredictable to say the least.

If the 23s were designed for just one role then one lesson that hadn't been taken on board was that whenever this has been done, the ships concerned have always ended up doing something completely different. Of course the 23s might be back in the Denmark Strait eventually - I just hope they are still seaworthy.
  11. I wish it were a paper exercise. However, this has been on the plot for at least three years - hence previous reference to structural issues with the T22B3s etc.

You really don't want to know what corrective stability measures are going to be required either - particularly for the T23.........

Still, better than project Brian.
  12. The bit that concens me is the extension of the Batch 3 T22s by an extra 3 years. From a Combat System perspective they were overdue for an upgrade some time back and some options were looked at to harmonise with T23s and T45s about 2-3 years ago but there wasn't any money to take it forward so the operators are stuck with CACS. Additionally CACS will not be supported by MCTS so the hands on training for CACs will only be available on-board ship. What a set-up for Ops Room teams to contend with for another 11 years or so.
  13. I'm new and want to join the navy as an officer, but all I'v heard are bad comments about the supposedly very good T45's, and now this page is telling me that the T23's are not very well designed and the T22's. Which I thought were very powerful ships in the past but now seemed to be dispatched to duty in the Gulf, even if this is where the main conserntration of the Navy is surly they should be on duty (I think with CTF156) covering the Aden. So is the Navy still a effective fighting force that I belive it to be? Or has it been down graded to a patrol force covering huge areas, but seeming to be a very small fleet for such an important and nessary job? I truly truly belive the navy is the best service in the armed forces but can anyone agree with me. Or is that just passed history.
  14. Shurely nothing new here?

Anyone remember the life extensions of the T21s?
  15. Just let go Ballistic!

It's all over.

Join in the piss-taking.

You're good at that. :thumright:

The one and only time you'll get a smilie from me.

16. Well…

We could put up a damn good show of resolve off Spithead, but if Jonhnie Forriner were to get rowdy in more distant waters things would be rather frought…
  17. How does a GP frigate like the Leander class compare to the T23s, them being reclassified as a general purpose frigate?
  18. A Leanders anti surface and anti air capability was effectively nil.
  19. If a Leander got hit it would just get angry.
    If a 23 got hit it would sink in flames.
    If a 23 got hit forward of the bridge it would (probably) blow up.