T.S.Arethusa

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by w.anchor, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of you older seadogs remember T.S Arethusa at Upnor Kent. :?:

2. I know several who do including one old enough to have been evacuated with his fellow underprivileged Arethusa boys to the Tides Reach Hotel in Salcombe during the war. Others were schooled on board her at Upnor on the Medway as late as the 1970s. All those I know subsequently joined the RN as boys or juniors and were presented with their Arethusa sword on being promoted from the lower deck. Apparently, Arethusa (aka the four-masted barque PEKING), is now languishing in New York harbour (Wiki link).

[align=center][​IMG]
    PEKING in New York harbour[/align]

3. Thanks NG I was ondoard in the early 1960's.Most of the boys joined the RN or RFA some the Merchant Navy or other after they left the ship.Its a shame that there was nothing to take it's place in the 1970's for today's up and coming seafarers.

4. YES I WAS ON ARETHUSA EARLY 1960 . IF ANY PHOTOS PLEASES END

5. I WAS ABOARD ARETHUSA IN 1960 S WAS MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE IF ANYONE HAS ANY PHOTOS PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANK YOU OLD SEA DOGS

6. YES IT WAS IN UPNOR NEAR ROCHESTER KENT . WE USED TO WALK BAREFOOT ONLY SHOE ON SHORE

7. They had TS Conway in the Liverpool area

G,

8. They had a 4.5 TS on the Arethusa that I was on!

9. my father served on the ts arethusa from 1951 1954 trying to find out information or pics for a surprise 70th birthday in oct 2011

10. Welcome to Rum Ration, Philip.

You may find these interesting:

TS ARETHUSA - Class Photos

TS ARETHUSA - History

11. When I was at Ganges in 73 there was a lad from Arethusa in my recruitment as I recall it was a refuge for boys who's seagoing fathers could not look after them.
    Shaun B was 6ft tall at 15 years and was truly hard as nails nobody fcuked with that lad not even to Gorbals jocks- sometimes wonder what happened to him he'd steal the cheese from behind your foreskin given the opportunity

12. T.S. Arethusa:
    Yes, I was on it 1954 - 5. It was originally called Peking then renamed Arethusa and when taken to USA renamed Peking. My ships book No. 212. Went into the Andrew at HMS St. Vincent at age 15 - came out 1963 as Killick elec.