T-Boats

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SJRM_RN, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me when the T-Boats will be completely out of guzz and up to fazzers? (please!)

churz

2. Trenchant 2014
    Talent 2015
    Triumph 2016

All other boats are remaining in guzz until they are paid off (or more likely run into the ground)

3. And here endeth sunshine squadron :(

4. Not quite I ran the T-Boat when working on the asuats in HMS VERNON :D
    There were several other T-Boats but mine was the cheapest.

5. Dolphin SM1 was the sunshine squadron!It was a sad day when boats left Dolphin,and now Guzz,time waits for no man or boat for that matter!

6. Agree it was a sad time, always nice to see them, three or four boats, alongside in Dolphin sweepers on the other side of the water at Vernon and plenty of other war canoes further upstream. The army even had some Landing craft. Sadly nearly all P&O terminals or apartments now.

7. When you say "run into the ground."..............

8. That's one of the failing of the government, they don't run them into the ground. Remember Warspite? full refit and then scrapped, they could have at least got some of their money back by using it for a few years.

9. I remember Warspite, as I was there for the refit. Pray tell, how could they have used her for a few more years?

10. What a disappointment, I was expecting a thread about Tiptoe, Totem, Taciturn, etc. etc.

11. Good point - Churchill was scrapped in the same fashion.

12. First, as the government takes the stand

I fully respect that stance so I will not either. As you were there then you will know of the problem found. It would heve made more economic sense to have replaced/storobed to complete the refit and had some return on the millions already spent.

13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Jimbo, don't worry my crystal ball say's your going to be a bomber queen. :wink:

14. Indeed I do, particularly as I spent a considerable amount of time working on the V&C and R boats as part of the repair team.

You , on the other hand, appear not to understand the problem found, or you would know that your sugggestion of a replacement was considered to be unrealistic, and that your suggestion of a storob is, frankly, laughable. Attempting a repair on Warspite would, at that stage of the refit, have been throwing good money after bad.

15. I can assure you I was more than fully aware of the problems and I would say more that you.

Unrealistic is a government term for 'not more bloody money, what about my expenses'.
    It was perfetly feasable to have repaired but circumstances at the time made two men in particular say sod it.

16. D'you think that's a real possibility or is the appointer likely to give me a Guzz T-boat once I'm trained up since we are all settled in Cornwall? Or is he just a cnut?

17. witsend

I'm unsure how your appointer waves his magic wand, but there is a very real chance you'll be turned into a queenie. The same applies for you Jimbo. I imagine you could find out when your shore training is completed and give the appointer a ring with the date and try a bit of smooth talking.

18. Ok, we'll go with the premise that you know more about it than I; pleas explain to a thicko like me how a storob could have helped.

19. witsend

Joe, I don't know the story behind Warspite but I suspect you 2 are talking about the "shirt arms" problem. I don't see how the kettles could have been replaced, so it was prob better to bin her.

20. remember those problems,diesel boats ended up with all the extra running!FLUNOBs! And then diesel boats went and became one myself!