Systems Engineer Officer Questions...please help!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by chunkylumber, Apr 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm interested in becoming an RFA SE Officer through the 'fast-track' scheme - I have an HND in electrical/electronic engineering and several years electrical installation experience.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the role of an SE is really like? what are they responsible for? how many guys they're in charge of? The working hours? What are the pay scales and promotion prospects? the RFA website just gives an intial salary. Also, I've heard that there are engineer captains, is this true? are there SE captains as well? I thought only deckies could become captains...

Any help/answers much appreciated, thanks guys

2. Welcome to Rum Ration.

Are you interested in this role?

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/70591bbfe8d240e6a55967d9181f423c-0x0.pdf

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

For the OP: just because RFA SEOs are not beating a path to their keyboards to answer your questions quite as quickly as you feel you are entitled to, doesn't mean you can spam the boards, copy and pasting your post.

What I do know: engineers can be Captains, only deck officers can command an RFA and just like the navy, they don't have to be a Captain to be the Captain.

There is only one SE Captain and he is based in Abbey Wood. I understand that the rank is temporary and if he returns to sea / retires it will be in the rank below.

4. AFAIK the only sea-going RFA Captains are Deck or Marine Engineering. Never seen an SE Capt.

5. Once all your initial training is complete (no idea what that involves) you will go to sea as a 3rd officer, promotion to 2nd officer requires X amount of trips and good reports. you will be responsible for keeping electrical equipment maintained and fixing the countless faults.

You will be duty SE 1in3 normally, this means you will be on call to fix anything within the SE remit at any time of day for a 24hour period.

Onboard ship there will be a SEO who is the head of dept, (1st or c/o depending on ship) then about 3 2nd or 3rd off, on bigger ships you also have a 1st off. There is also a PO (SE) and a MM (SE).

Each day you will turn too at about 8am in the SE office where the SEO will give everyone there jobs, you will work alone 90% of the time but it depends on the job. You will finish your working day at about 5pm-6pm.

as for cpt, there is a captain(X) and captain(E) (CEO) onboard, the X is in overall command of the ship, the CEO is in charge of the engineering department. The SE branch is seen as a sub branch of the E dept.

6. Thanks for the info, any idea what the pay is for a SEO, 1st, 2nd and 3rd SE please? Also are RFA salaries normally tax free?

7. I'm sorry I don't know what the pay scale is for the SE branch but a quick phone call to the RFA recruitment team will help you there.

as for tax free, it's quite simply luck of the draw, I know people who have been in the rfa 10+ years and have never had a tax year and equally so I know people who have been in for less than 2 years and met the requirements.

you will find a lot of RFA guys live abroad so almost every year is tax free. it's possible with a good trip ( doesn't all have to be abroad, you get Q days for straying outside the 12 mile limit) coupled with a few well placed holidays.