Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

System Officer Interview Technical questions

Rich1710

Hi Guys,

Im over the moon, I recieved a phone call couple days ago from someone in the RFA in southamptom and they have asked me to come in for an interview on Wednesday. Im going for the Position of systems engineer officer, He told me that there is no AIB interview, just this one and if i pass this and the medical I'm in. Cannot wait,

I know exactly the type of questions they are going to ask and im prepared for them, the only thing I am worried about is that there is going to be a guy there asking technical questions based around engineering and I have no idea what level or what type of question he is going to ask. I have a HNC in electrical engineering but I dont know what to revise, we have covered alot of material. I dont what to study the harder stuff and then get confused on a simple querstion and visa versa.

Does anyone have any idea what type of electrical questions they might ask me so i can feel a little bit more prepared s i only have about 5 days?

Any info is greatly appreciated, Thank you

spooner

Midshipman
Unless the interview has changed massively in the last year or two you shouldn't have too much to worry about. It does depend a little who interviews you, but I suspect half the interview will be about you as a person and your knowledge of the RFA, motivations (why you want to be an SE, what you'll be doing etc), and the other half some technical questions.

SEs deal with such a wide range of equipment it's impossible to predict what you'll be asked, but they're not expecting a fully-formed RFA systems engineer at this point anyway. It's more about getting an overview of your basic experience and enthusiasm. Saying "I don't know" is better than trying to blag it!

It wouldn't hurt to have a look through your electrical machines material - things like AVRs, frequency convertors and motor starters - and HV (what it is, why it's used, safety precautions) and try and find out how a ship distribution system differs from a shorebased system. Look up earthing, continuity of supply and galvanic protection.

Good luck!

spooner

Midshipman
It'd be great if you could report back afterwards (particularly if the process has changed) to assist the next person searching.

Apologies for the late reply. I passed the interview, just waiting to hear back form my security check and get all my vaccines done :)

The interview was a bit nerve racking. I sailed through the RFA questions (History, operations, ships etc) but really struggled with the technical stuff. I was thinking far too much into it, the simple answer usually being the right one. I have no hands on experience and a HNC is a pretty shit qualification to be honest, doesnt prepare you for a job at all.
  • They asked about High Voltage ( what it is, why its used and what are the dangers)
  • Fault finding (gave examples like "You have been called into the engine room and a 3 phase motor is not working, what do you?)
  • How you use a multimeter to check continuity, windings etc
  • What the Role of a SE Officer is and what systems they are responsible for. I started listing all the systems they are responsible for when all the needed was the answer "everything Electrical"
Hope this helps someone!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
L Officer Promotion System Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
MoD_RSS Government launches Root-and-Branch review of the parole system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary urges overhaul of adoption system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary urges overhaul to adoption system MoD News 0
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 7
MoD_RSS Campaign launched to ready businesses for points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jenrick announces next steps to put beauty and design at heart of planning system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to boost capacity in employment tribunal system, giving quicker outcomes for employees and employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MuCCA: government-backed collision avoidance system achieves world first MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK government announces Automated Lane Keeping System call for evidence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of Planning for the future consultation to reform the planning system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Common Platform system tested in criminal courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out draft agenda for a 21st century tax system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major investment in small businesses through justice system improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Special Imports System will be unavailable 20 and 21 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Independent review into the Post Office Ltd Horizon IT system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Emissions Trading System proposal would see UK go further in tackling climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New tech will help keep the criminal justice system moving during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Assessment and Accreditation System (NAAS) grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An inspection of Home Office (Borders, Immigration and Citizenship System) intelligence collection capabilities, focusing on its field intelligence wo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million to support transition to future farming system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government outlines further plans to support health and social care system in fight against COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safeguarding system needs to do more to protect teens and infants from abuse and neglect MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New surveillance system for early detection of COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Immigration system will support Scottish economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Douglas Ross comment on new points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces new points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary announces new UK points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fixing the project delivery system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How actuaries support the health and care system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Points-based system and salary thresholds for immigration: letter from the MAC MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Fears Raised Over £269m Aerial Radar System" The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Loan system overhaul to benefit millions of students and graduates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Boeing 737-8AS, system malfunctions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Care robots could revolutionise UK care system and provide staff extra support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Planned system maintenance: 11pm 31 October to 4 November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses reminded to register on system to maintain environmental standards on harmful gases post-Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Heads of IPO, EPO and USPTO discuss global patents system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next generation unmanned system unveiled at DSEi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary tasks MAC on Australian-style points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commissioning letter to the MAC on a points-based system for migration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to ensure safety of self-driving vehicles ahead of their sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to simplify and speed up modern slavery referrals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public to have their say on the food system of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Threat level system updated to include all forms of terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Terminally ill benefit claimants deserve a fresh and honest evaluation of the way the system supports them MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Development of new antibiotics encouraged with new pharmaceutical payment system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ministers discuss new immigration system at tech industry summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Justice Minister sets out whole system approach to justice reform MoD News 0