Sydney Morning Herald: "Navy Seeking Recruits From The Old Country"

Discussion in 'International' started by soleil, Dec 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

They are looking at WE, Logs and Warfare Officers in particular, OR/SR but I didn't ask those specifics. If you are a loggie, Russ S, went out 3-4 years ago, loves it and I can probably get his work details.

2. What's the (very!) upper age limit? :slow:

3. wave_dodger

I'm 42 and they were happy to consider me, ill ask when I am back at work.

You really need to speak to guys working out there. Its a very different Navy, their deployment patterns and bases are vastly different and living in Oz is a huge challenge for some families. I look at this every so often but we have some personal factors that stop it currently being a practical idea, if that changes I'd be off in a heartbeat.

4. I did a cross-pol with the RAN in the NAG and hated it. By all accounts it's the RN from the 70s, but with about none of the fun. I've no doubt life back in Oz is awesome, but time onboard seemed pretty ****. And you'll drop at least one rank, if not two.

5. wave_dodger

You don't always lose your rank its case dependent - I would keep mine for instance which makes the deal very sweet but you're right about the difference in ways of working; they can be pretty uptight, very serious and borderline compulsive workaholics - even ashore there is little fun at work and they put in ludicrous hours - blows away your image of Aussie life somewhat and its a reason some families don't like it, move away to never see the husband.

6. Not according to a Midshipman of my acquaintance who wanted to switch branch from MWO to Pusser. Transfer denied, which meant he had to leave the RAN - 54 weeks after passing out of Cresswell very high up in his intake! Advice received from CoC (as opposed to his appointer(s)) was to leave then go straight back in to the recruiting office and ask to join the RAN as a Supply Officer. He did so and now has to wait until June to hear anything further!

7. Ha you're a blanket stacker! Sorry I/C of blanket stackers. So you went from playing the triangle to being a bean counter.

Brilliant, made my day. All the shit you give me and you're an Oasis queen. No wonder you can quote dull JSP's etc.

8. Anyone in here "in the know about joining the RAN?

I have a few questions if you'd be prepared to drop me a pm.

VMT