Sword advice please

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Mou Sea, May 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We would like to buy a Officers sword for our eldest who is passing out later this year.
    Anyone know where we could get a secondhand one, what it should be like and roughly how much we should expect to pay? Sadly we don't have the sort of funds that Greives require! Also probs stupid question but other than passing out, when are they used?

Thanks in the words of the mighty Terry Tibbs.....Swords talk to me!

2. They're only used for ceremonials so on divisions he will carry one. Have you tried E-bay?

3. The finest Toledo steel or pork?

4. To second Wrecker Ebay is your best bet, they are often on there for less than £300. The obvious issue is that you are not able to see the item prior to buying it- they can be quite expensive to refinish or set right if they have not been looked after.

Otherwise, the College Tailor used to sell them but as I recall, was looking at £700+ for the sword and scabbard, with a belt and knot extra.

5. Will look into eBay and the college, thanks for the help.

6. Tell him to keep an eye out on people who are due to pass out a term before him. He may find that there's some who have already had a sword bought for them but fail and are discharged. Good source of a bargain.

Alternately, have a look at The Mess Dress in Bournemouth, - The Mess Dress Ltd they do a RN sword package offer using WKC swords which are manufactured with the ex-Wilkinson Sword tooling.

It's a piece of history you are purchasing, a family heirloom (or it will be when he croaks!!) If you can't stretch to the full amount then what about pooling from any family who may be thinking of buying a pass out present? Maybe he'll even cough up himself?

Beware Ebay, be very careful what you are considering from there or you may find a poor quality import.

7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

22 years and each wedding I attend I promise myself to buy a new sword. never do. If he is a Warfare officer let him spend the money on a good set of binos - trust me they will get much more use out of them than a sword.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

OP, I'd really give this some long thought - after 20 years of lugging mine around its only seen the light of day for my passing out (was really chuffed - great idea), followed by a few ceremonial divisions and thereafter the odd wedding. In reality it was a great idea at the time and now something I can't get rid of (parents would spontaneously combust) and just clutters the place.

Now, a very nice watch, similarly priced may also float your son/daughters boat and stand the test of time better? Just a thought.

9. Mmmn, binocs not supplied? Yeah she's warfare. We are not a military family so this navy lark has been a sharp learning curve, however, we are really proud and wanted to present the sword as a well done, crack on sort of thing. £700 is doable but Greives 2k was a bit ott. It is alot of money for something not used very often though.
    How much are good binocs?

10. I agree with you to a certain extent- but nothing screams 'knobber' louder than a YO who turns up on the bridge with a set of expensive binos. Much as I hate to be 'pusser's' in my outlook, I'd be loath to pay to substitute what is perfectly adequate issue kit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I say again my last over, a watch!!

Can't echo bongo enough - Baby YO turns up on the bridge with a spanky pair of Binos or <shudder> a telescope and cue sniggering amongst the bridge team.

OP your sentiment and thoughts are spot on, you just have to think how a sword fits into modern life - it simply doesn't in reality. We have stocks of them for weddings and divisions and its not as if they're the sort of thing you can display in a typical house.

12. I bought a second hand one a while back. George IV, reasonable condition and has always polished up well enough for what I have needed it for. More weddings than Divisions. Campbeltown's decommissioning ceremony last April was the last time it had an outing.

To be honest, if you don't have the money as 'spare' (you know what I mean), I would suggest not buying a sword. You can always borrow one. I like having mine, but i bought it when I decided I wanted to own one for myself, after I had been in about 5 years. Your daughter may well need help with something more useful that you cannot foresee at the moment.

13. Buy him an aircraft carrier.

14. Even if you buy top quality secondhand you run a risk of a badly tarnished blade. If it's been used to cut a wedding cake the blade will be wrecked. Each time I drew a sword for an RN wedding, the armourer made a point of insisting it wasn't used to cut the cake.

15. Well you are supposed to wipe it afterwards.

16. That's what your mum said when I...

...sorry, I'll get me coat.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Immature High Schoolers - your mum joke comedy genius

I'm 16 years old and I approve of the above post.

I feel I must make a sensible contribution (the horror!) now though. If she likes the idea of having a sword as an ornament on the wall or something, it might make it a more worthwhile purchase.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. A valid consideration. Have to admit that I would laugh if I went into anyones house and they had their sword on the wall though.

19. I rather like the idea of a sword on my wall as an ornament, but, then, I'm a bit eccentric. :D