Swine flu...load of [email protected]?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wet_blobby, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Just who stands to gain from all the hype? Who (or why) is letting the media run rampant scare stories?

150+ dead in Mexico....bollocks, try 7. Dont believe me? try looking here then..

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

This cant be any worse than any other years winter flu virus.

2. But it's not winter blobbs! Point taken though and I concur...
    The better half and muggins are planning a holiday to Mexico in December. At least this way the hotels should be doing some good prices. The septics will have taken fright so the place will be clear of them...should be on to a winner.

3. The media was all over my home town yesterday as a 41 year old woman came back from mexico with swine flu. Shes now in quarentine.

best thing thats happend to my town for years. People now kno where it is.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Woops....winter (ish) here.. :oops:

5. Mate, as with Avian flu it's all a load of bollocks to give us the masses something to worry about other than the REAL issues in the world today.

Like why are the sausage and bean melts in Greggs never hot?

6. Mod head on;

Take the social chat to lil's or qtr deck lads, don't run off topic

7. Who stands to gain? Merck, Baxter, whichever other pharma industry bigshots get their wonderful vaccine contracts. Baxter has been awarded the contract from the WHO. The same Baxter that sent out a load of vaccines loaded with the H5N1 virus.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/02/27/8560781.html

Scary stuff. Not too sure how H5N1 could be sent out in vaccines by accident though, seems like one hell of a goof up. It's also national vaccine week in the US this week. (edit: No it isn't actually, heard that on a radio show.. LIES!)

8. Do you not appreciate the satire? I think it sums it up really that seriously, Greggs is more interesting than this Swine Flu which is indeed a load of old boll0cks.

"Good evening from the BBC news studio, you should all kill yourselves in your homes because not only is there not one single job in the world and this is the worst recession since someone invented money but 74 million people are going to die from some bullsh1t disease we've invented to scare you."

9. Its right there a lot more important things happening, the media frenzy over absolutely everything is beyond stupidity. The followers of Goody will now be buying OK magazine designer dustmasks in all sorts of Chav designs...

...anyway, drive through Subway, WTF???

10. Had to laugh at all the worried well on the BBC local news in the southwest last night: "I'm really scared" (sniff, sniff).

Christ - luckily I'm not in the ED at the mo but I wonder how many people are going to rock up in fits of tears with the sniffles wondering if it could be swine flu, cos I was talking to my friend on the phone last night, and his brother's girlfriend ate a mexican meal 2 weeks ago and hasn't been quite right since...

11. I've stopped drinking tequila, just in case

12. HMG has been working on a "plan" for a flu pandemic for years, which is no bad thing, given that there have been several pandemics over the years that have killed many. We won't know the extent of this one for some time, but it is just another type of influenza. It makes me laugh to hear the journos reporting that people are showing the signs and symptoms of Swine Flu, as they are just the same as any other type of flu and squillions of people the world over show the same signs every day.

It'd be interesting to see how many of our elected thieves have shares in the major drug companies.

13. Wife says I should get it no problem!and I deserve it.[went out on the lash last night] later tonight I'm going to pour a drop of weedkiller on her favourite tulips.
    I blame the Railway Inn at Fratton,I was pissed when I proposed.
    It's got a lot to answer for.

14. Weren't we all. :wink:

15. I phoned the govt swine flu phone line all I got was a lot of crackling.

My mates Mexican holiday is cancelled he is pig sick!! :p

16. Apparently the first symptom of swine flu is the trotts!

17. At the first sign reach for these

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Anyone remember this gem from the last world-threatening pandemic (SARS)?

“The World Health Organisation today issued a new warning against non-essential travel to the entire Western hemisphere following renewed concerns about the spread of Severe Loss of Perspective Syndrome (SLOPS). Officials are warning travellers not to visit the UK, the US, almost all of Western Europe, and Canada, following further outbreaks of the disease, which has led to mass panic among the media, thousands of ecstatic children being kept out of school by their credulous and moronic parents, and increased profits for DIY stores as the idiot public rush to bulk-buy face masks and boiler suits.

A WHO spokesman said, “You’d be much better off going to somewhere like Thailand or China, because all you’ve got to worry about there is SARS, and let’s face it, you’re about as likely to die from that as you are to get kicked to death by a gang of zombie nuns.â€

The SARS virus has now claimed a staggering 500 lives in only six months, which makes it considerably more deadly than, say, malaria, which only kills around 3000 people every single day. Malaria, however, mainly effects only darkies what speak foreign, whereas SARS has made at least one English person feel a bit iffy for a couple of days, and is therefore considered much more serious.

The spread of SLOPS has now reached pandemic proportions, with many high-level politicians seemingly affected by the disease. The rapid spread of SLOPS has been linked to the end of the war in Iraq and the need for Western leaders to give the public something to worry about. Otherwise, they might start asking uncomfortable questions about domestic issues, and that simply would not do. Anyone who appears to be exhibiting symptoms of SLOPS should be dragged into the street by their genitals and shot.â€

19. APORKALYPSE NOW!