Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Fisheggz, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hay Lads how are you all doing?

I am just about to do my pre joining fitness test and am quietly confident of passing, I also did very well on the RT test.

My weakness is I am utter balls at the front crawl, I can do 1000 meters breast stroke easy but when I am doing the front crawl I feel like I am dieing after about 20 minutes, I put this down to teaching my self how to swim so my technique is rubbish.

Any way is this something which is going to cause me problems during basic training?

currently booked in for swimming lesson. 8)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not really, breast stroke is ideal for the RN Swimming Test.
  3. The fact that you appear to have mastered the art of not drowning gives you an advantage over most of the mouth-breathing retards making up the current spawning of recruits. Don't worry.
  4. Join boats, you only need to float.
  5. Swimming Lessons is the Andrew that short of ships these days?
  6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed. Due to a shortage of those floaty type things, new recruits patrol the coastal waters of the UK armed with nothing but a wetsuit, armbands and a pair of goggles made in Taiwan. If they show promise (ie don't drown), they get posted to a ship.
  7. As Ninja said, Breaststroke is perfect. It's the least energy sapping stroke to be doing when wearing clothing. SO to be honest you will be better off than someone who can only swim front crawl.

8. Lol cheers lads
  9. 1000 metres breast stroke??????? Are you absolutely certain you can swim for 1 kilometre?
    If so you shouldn't be joining the RN, you should be applying for the UK olympic team.
    Have you actually looked at what is required of you, which is not to be superman. It is roughly the same as is required from airline crew during their training, not a lot more in any case.
    Given that the average fitness of modern youth is about equivalent with a disabled three legged donkey, then you should do very well as you are and I wouldn't waste energy doing more; frankly the average granny is probably more fit than your average yoof!
  10. 1000 metres is nothing. It's 40 lengths of a 25 metre pool
  11. I did 6 on thursday and hung out. There was even a pongo there and he nearly drowned and he wasnt even a 'non swimmer'.
  12. Did they replace the water with burning pitch? :lol:
  13. After you then :wink:
  14. I do 50 lengths three days a week. If you're not a fatty you can come and do some laps around my magnificent body. :D
  15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I out JJ as a PTI looking for the mirror in a swimming pool.......... 8O :p
  16. I would never leave the pool mate! :D
  17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Most PTI's dont when they find it............ :lol: