Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jordwill91, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey
    I am starting some swimming lessons tommorrow. does anyone have any tips on how to learn quicker or anything else for this matter.

2. Tie a couple of tractor wheels to your ankles then jump in the deep end. You'll have to get good pretty fcukin quickly then.
  3. As I fellow newbie I can tell you that you are in for a world of hurt asking a question like that on this forum!!!!!!!
  4. I would say the key thingis to get good instruction, and once you get going, practice regularly until you get to a reasonable standard.
  5. Cheers atleast someone is helping.
  6. I am having swimming lessons at the moment I can swim but I my tech is crap. I have one a week then another swim on my own just keep going also ask if you can swim with a shirt on just to add a bit of weight. Going twice a week should make you more of stronger swimmer.
  7. As someone who has (albeit in a past life) represented London as a swimmer, the best advice that I can give is to work on your technique. If you swim with bad technique, then you will tire relatively quickly. That being said, you really don't have to be a very good or strong swimmer to pass the swimming tests.
  8. Oh dear I think I have to agree with you Lamri, if you stop taking lessns/coaching when you have just learnt to stay afloat and move, that is all you will ever be able to do.

You do need to persever to get reasonably profoicent at front and back crawl and breast stroke, seems a lot but it will do you good in the long run. Bad technique at the start is bad technique for life. I have a slight screw kick in the breast stroke (Lamri will understand) and I was very lucky never to get disqualified in the individual medley when I swam competitively.

Get it right now and it really will stay with you all your life.
  9. I would just say. take the lessons and advice from the pool instructors/lifeguard :thumright:

But if you're the Jordan we all hope you are .....- you have your own flotation devices ..... ;)
  10. Hi,

The best thing you can do is follow the instruction the swimming teacher gives you. You will need to keep yourself afloat for 2 minutes and do 2 length (40 metres) the best stroke is breaststroke as you will be wearing clothing whilst doing it

You don't need to be the worlds best swimmer to pass, but you will need to be able to swim. The military swimming test is a pass or fail part of your initial training.

11. and then lift yourself outta the pool - at BRNC its 18" - thats a hell of a lift. lol

dont know about RNC
  12. As a final thought, always remember that dead bodies float, try swimming underwater, it gets rid of any fear that you might have of sinking to the bottom.

On a different note, with my children and my Grandchildren, i have always taken the bolshie view, ` get that child swimming NOW`. As a result, strong confident swimmers with no fear of the water.
  13. Best way to learn is to do it as often as possible!

I just hope they don't want Butterfly stroke - I will blubber like a little girl if they do.
  14. I think the biggest thing is fear/ confidence in the water.

Perfect example, with me going through Raleigh for the second time just now: I passed it last time (when it was definitely a lot tougher), but failed it on the Friday of week 1 this time round. The reason I failed it: I was confident that BECAUSE I passed it last time, I would pass it this time, whilst knowing in myself that I'm not a good swimmer; so there came the confidence (undeserved), and the fear - and I failed.

I then had the remedial on the Monday of week 2, having been swimming on the Sunday getting help from one of the lads who was a lifeguard - and passed it on the Monday. By sheer grit; certainly not because of my technique.

So, if you're confident that you can do it (and you actually can) it'll be a breeze, if there's even a shade of doubt, then you may well scrape it, but chances are, like me, you wont.

My failing the swimming test earned me the nickname "Nemo"; as supposedly he had a broken fin at the beginning of the film(?)... So be sure and get it cracked in week 1 and you won't have to do it again!

15. The only trouble is they float face down!. But really don't worry because RN lifejackets are amongst the best available and will turn you face up even if you are unconscious. You'll get taught all about lifejackets and liferafts and all that sort of thing. Just trust the man who teaches you; he really does know what he is talking about.