Swimming

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by snapdragon, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I've never been a very good swimmer at all. I was the last in my class at primary school to get my red braid and move out of the shallow end of the little pool... I was about 15 before i could swim- no, not quite (about eight), but i've never been very good. The best i've ever been able to do was two lengths, and that was when i was at my fitness' meagre peak when i was still doing Muay Thai training.
    I know the solution to this is to swim as often as i can- which isn't very often. But can anyone help me to get the most out of my time? And direct me to a site with, or tell me some, swimming technique tips? What stroke should i use? And what's it like swimming in 'overalls' (as the fitness sheet says)? I don't have the oppurtunity to swim in clothes, it's just not ever allowed in any nearby pools, not even as part of lessons- not at my standard anyway.
    My biggest problem is being underconfident, even afraid, and bad technique which means i get water up my nose/down my throat, whichever isn't shut off at the time. I think this will be my downfall with my application- for the first time, i'm starting to feel like i won't be able to achieve what i need to. So if anyone has any advice, i'd be so grateful.

2. Does it not tell you how far you have to swim on selection sheets?

3. Two lengths in overalls, then tread water for three minutes. One or the other without clothes, currently i could do. But all... i need to get training, seriously.

4. Lol im in the same predicement mate, im looking forward to a long life in the RN but am a crap swimmer, but i wouldnt worry practice makes perfect mate.

5. I passed swimming test first time, but only just. I got some practice in a local pool that let you swim in clothes when they did their lifesaving lessons.

Swimming test is a priority in the RN so you take it every day until you pass. So you'll get plenty of practice in!

6. Swimming in overalls is usually just that--swimming trunks and overalls .

If you can swim and breathe comfortably while doing so then you shouldn't have a problem. The overalls will cause a drag so you will have to swim more strongly .
    Best way for swimming is on your back
    Same for treading water .

Conquer your fear of water --once you have done that its a doddle.

Also-- failure of the test means you will be given instruction and 'how to do it encouragement '

The Navy usually helps people

7. Don't worry they will get you through it and if treading water is your problem they usualy let you swim around in circles or something similar.

8. Thanks, i did two lengths quite easily on my back the other day, then managed one minute of tread water, so i'm getting there. I've booked swimming lessons too. I didn't know whether to, i'm having an operation this week and so it will mean a while of missing quite a few lessons. But i suppose there's no other way around it.

9. As has been said already... The key is perseverance... As long as your seen to be trying your damned hardest, the staff at Raleigh will do every thing they can to get you through.

Dig in and you'll breeze it!

Good luck :lol:

10. Getiing some swimming lessons will be a help, that will solve some of your 'technique' problems and also solve the mouthfuls of water problem too. The reality is that when you can swim one lenght properly you can swim a 100, really it's true. Practicing will make you fitter in the water, and that will help too. Don't worry too much about the overalls, once you have got the basicss of swimming OK then they are just an extra bit of bother, they don't really weigh you down but make fast movements more difficult, but you shouldn't be trying to make fast movements any way, you are not trying to break the world record, just survive.

Good luck.

Peter

11. Getiing some swimming lessons will be a help, that will solve some of your 'technique' problems and also solve the mouthfuls of water problem too. The reality is that when you can swim one lenght properly you can swim a 100, really it's true. Practicing will make you fitter in the water, and that will help too. Don't worry too much about the overalls, once you have got the basicss of swimming OK then they are just an extra bit of bother, they don't really weigh you down but make fast movements more difficult, but you shouldn't be trying to make fast movements any way, you are not trying to break the world record, just survive.

Good luck.

Peter

12. Shouldn't this thread be in another forum? Lils, or the Ax?