Swimming training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by zako1992b, May 17, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What kind of training should i be doing ? I already do marathon training for my running but dont feel confident swimming at the moment

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I rather think you have just answered your query. You don't need to run 26 miles to pass the PJFT, but you do need to pass the RN swimming test.
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You gotta have the grace of a shark, the endurance of a whale and the intelligence of a mermaid to pass the test my young Nelson, good luck.
  4. Can you swim at all? If you can but need to build up stamina, speed and improve on technique then its surprising how quickly you make progress just going a few times a week. I do either front crawl, breastroke, back crawl (?) for 30ish mins non-stop and then tread water at the start and at the finish. Worked for me and its more or less the same as in the RN fitness guide. If you are not happy swimming yet ask at your leisure centre, mine has always been supportive and let me swim and tread water in my clothes a few times. They might be able to give you a few pointers on technique and stuff as well.
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

don't smoke when swimming, water and tabs don't mix well.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. If your worried about it, go to your local swimming baths and take some lessons. I think it might be hard to sneakily where arm bands for the RN test.

7. I coat my ciggies in wax adds to the extra chemicals you puff in ... Thanks for the advice though I'll have a word with them tomorrow to see if i can swim in clothes

8. Make sure you wear clothes that are three sizes too big for you ;)