Swimming test

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SRT1, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the photocopy I was given at my pre entry brief it says I have to swim 40 meters and tread water for 3 minutes before exiting the pool unassisted but at:
    it says I have to tread water for 2 minutes, swim 50 meters in under 4 minutes and exit the pool unassisted.

Which is it? Also, are jeans and a long sleeved T-shirt a good approximation to the overalls you wear?
  2. it is the second one, 2 minutes tread water, swim 50 metres and get out.

and yes they are a rough approximation to overalls.

just remember not to panic when you jump in.
  3. Thank you.
  4. Go to your local pool, jump with your cloths on, make sure to bring a spare. You may get weird looks, but who cares.
  5. I phoned my local pool, they said that it wouldn't be a problem for me to have a go.
  6. Really? That's great that they would allow you to do that. Only time I've ever done something similar was during my lifeguard training - but I suppose it is worth a chat to someone at the pool and see if a practice go with clothes on could be possible!

Good luck with yours!
  7. Thank you, good luck with your test too. They sounded a lot less apprehensive about it once I mentioned what it was for (perhaps I should have said that first, so I didn't sound like a nutter who wanted to have a swim fully clothed).
  8. if you know the basics of swimming then you should be fine, however when i did my RNAC there were a couple that couldnt do it... u will be fine if you know how to swim
  9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Being a beached whale you don't have much trouble then.
  10. That wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, I managed to do the 50m inside 2 minutes and got out of the pool on my first attempt. I did feel like a bit of a nutter jumping into a pool fully clothed.
  11. RAN swim test is a lot harder.
    3 metre safety jump from a platform
    10 metre underwater swim (body fully submerged under water)
    50 metre swim using survival strokes only (breaststroke, back scull or sidestroke)
    15 minutes treading water in overalls
  12. SRT 1 - Well done with that. Nutter or not dude you did it and bet you feel better about facing it at Raleigh. :)