Swimming Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by OptiMystic, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Guys,

As some on here may already know, the Swimming test is going to be the bane of my Raleigh existance, but I refuse to be beaten by it. However, as public swimming pools won't let you swim with anything outside of shorts etc, I was after a little advice.

To what kind of standard would you recommend I be able to swim to. I don't normally like being happy with being able to do 'just' the minimum - but the way it's going atm I've got to be realistic.

I can manage about 2 lengths breaststroke at the moment without stopping, but thats without all the kit obviously. (I know, it isn't a lot but I'm learning to swim literally JUST for the Navy app).

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Without Overalls (obviously) If you can swim over 200 metres, without pause, breaststroke & tread water for 5 minutes, you should be OK.

3. No probs, cheers.
    Getting enthusiastic about this now though! Only a couple of weeks to go!

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

When I joined up I could do front crawl and doggie paddle, took me weeks and weeks to crack the BST, I was playing submarines with the saftey divers at CTC for ages. Got there in the end. It would have been useful to have been told before I joined that the swim tests had to be done using breaststroke.

But we didn't have 'puters and Ninja when I joined up, life was one big adventure. :dwarf:

5. Haha, Ironically, that's about what I was capable of beforehand. Never really found swimming to be that relaxing, so made sure I could get myself out of trouble if needed with front stroke. Everything else, I thought, was unnecessary. How wrong!

I'll get there before the end, just don't like struggling.

6. Stick in there mate. I know it's kind of obvious advise lol, but if you do keep on practicing you will just get better and stronger.

Good luck with Raleigh, wish I was going :(

7. To be honest it's more anout technique than strength. If your technique is sound then you'll breeze the MST.

Believe it or not, there was a guy in our entry that literally couldn't swim. He went to remedials and within a couple of weeks he'd passed. I really wouldn't worry about it mate. :thumright:

8. Ha Ha ... pmsl at thought of you thrashing about in the pool .... pmsl ..... and trying to front crawl everywhere ... pmsl .... You must have loved the re-gain tank .... (I can't stop laughing) :w00t:

9. Have a quiet word with the pool attendants mate, explain to them what you are trying to do. They will have weights etc "out back" that they might let you use :)

10. Ninja_Stoker

Personally, I would worry about it as you will be at a distinct disadvantage against everyone else in your class. Whilst you have remedial swimming lessons, everyone else is getting their kit ready for the following day, so you'll be playing catch-up until you pass. You can be discharged for failing to meet the fitness standards required for phase one training. To suggest it isn't a problem is a bit like suggesting that fitness is optional.

11. Agreed, misworded my post.

If you can't swim at all then make every effort to learn before Raleigh - remedials do make life very hard. Being at or above the required fitness standards do make life a lot easier as you can concentrate on the other parts of training. However, if you're 'fit' but can't swim very far, it's probably more of a technique thing - which they'll teach you.

12. When I was at BRNC we did our swimming test along with the RFA division. All but one failed the test. Pretty spectacular.

13. How do you struggle int the water is it stamina like you cant go on after two lengths or are you flapping and start to panic? Besides when we are down there we will help you im sure.

14. I think it is a technique thing. I find that after a length or two I'm struggling. I start to get flustered, breathe at the wrong times, then start rushing - then it all goes wrong.

Takes a lot for me to come online and ask a group of strangers for advice, but it's just where I've come to and it's really starting to worry. People might think I'm being weak, or lazy, but I'm giving it my all - i've just never taken easily to swimming.

Everywhere else, my fitness is absolutely fine - am doing the run outside in 11 minutes maximum, sit ups and press ups absolutely no problem as well.

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You can't get as bad a start as I did Opi, there I was stood at the pool side, just over 16 years, build like a pencil, wearing a canvas duck suit that was about 10 sizes to big for me, to my right a 20 something year old ex para, built like the preverbial brick out house, PTI shouted go, we all dived in. I did quite well for the first 6 strokes then the suit filled with water, I thought I was tied to the pool side, struggled manfully for another 10 or so strokes and then the ex para passed me on his return lap, all of my get up and go got up and went and I sank quietly to the bottom.

Its obviously better that you can swim before you go, as Ninja has said (although to be really sure you need this to be confirmed by Chico) but don't let it get to you if you aren't the best swimmer in the pool, you'll get there in the end.

16. Ninja_Stoker

:thumbup: Eloquently put.

17. Thanks mates. I guess it's just reassuring to know that I'm not the only person that has/will have trouble with it and still get through. I'll get there in the end.

18. takes a lot of bottle to ask for advice never mind asking a compleat bunch of strangers, the only advice i can give is try not to panic. spend a few sessions standing up and co-ordinte your arms going whilst walking the bottom of the pool. Also strap a float to your legs and try and do the arm bit. for the legs just kick to the wall with your hands holding you away from the wall.

If you think not being able to swim was bad I used to be afraid of deep water and im joining the RN.

19. Hi mate,

There will plenty of oppertunity at Raleigh to improve your swimming technique. The more practice, the better you will get obviously. When the time finally comes in Week 8 ("Wacky Wednesday") you will see how much of an improvement you have made in all aspects of fitness throughout the 8 weeks you've been training for.

You'll probably hear about "Wacky Wednesday" and the endurance course etc. It may sound daunting, but the training you will recieve prior to that will prepare you, and you'll feel a great sense of achievement when you've completed it.

All the best,

Joe.G :thumright:

20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I never once fell in the re-gain tank :dwarf:

Got told to jump in a few times mind :thumright: