Swimming test on joining

seafarer1939

War Hero
Is the RN swimming test the same as it was in '55?
Then,as a farmers boy and briefly down the pits I couldn't swim nor had ever seen the sea,the local river was only 2' deep and the swimming baths were 30 miles away.
That was me shagged when I went to HMS Victory on joining.
I'd been a good schoolboy boxer,Captain of the school cricket team and goalie for the football team but water terrified me!
First time we went to the Navy baths and was told to jump in I didn't know what to do. The PTI said I'll pull you to the side with this pole,in fact after jumping in I tried to climb up the pole!
I envied all those who could swim with ease and it took me a good while to pass that test.
The only other thing that shagged me was the Gymnasium,I could run fast but I'd never seen a box or horse that the rest were turning somersaults on.
I never really mastered any of those two,frightened of landing on my nuts on the box and no idea how to do flips on the horse.
Me and an Irish guy said feck it! we don't need it at sea.
After training Paddy left to join the IRA saying he just wanted to get thru the basics so he could help the cause in the future!
I did my bit by punching his lights out over a trivial argument at Raleigh and throwing him in a bed of nettles bollock naked! Don't think it was Gerry Adams! Ah! happy days!
Sorry to reminisce but it's the swimming test I wanted the answer for,BTW, I ended up as most did,a very good swimmer,the RN did a lot for me,except for the horse and box drills!
Was anyone else in the same boat on joining or were you all Tarzans? you weren't because I wasn't the only one petrified of water in my squad.

seafarer1939

War Hero
I must have been the only crap swimmer to join!worth a question though but I still don't know how hard the current test is.
Never mind ours was hard enough so it will be up to standard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C AIB swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Pish Lads I’d like to ask about the swimming during the prnc , is done in 30 m pool ? and what do they consider as a fail during the swim test? Joining the Royal Navy 10
T Tips and advice on PRNC + Swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
S Swimming test Health & Fitness 11
O Swimming Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
MoD_RSS Be aware of safety warning signs when swimming near water structures this summer MoD News 0
Stirlin Swimming with Great White Shark. Diamond Lil's 7
D swimming! Joining the Royal Navy 2
Q RFA Swimming tests?? RFA 13
zako1992b Swimming training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R RFA swimming tests??? RFA 18
M Swimming question (oh boy this thread again, I know.) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Swimming during recruit training Sports and Adventure Training 35
Topstop Deepest swimming poll? Diamond Lil's 0
F Swimming!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J Swimming Submariners 16
S swimming shorts?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
L Synchronised Swimming? Boring? The Gash Barge 13
J Swimming Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
P Swimming The Corps 7
bigbaddog Swimming Pool...for Frogmen Diamond Lil's 9
P If swimming is so good for you, why are whales so fat ? Diamond Lil's 17
snapdragon Swimming yet again Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
snapdragon Swimming The Fleet 11
J Eye sight test - AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS MOD funds predictive sepsis test for coronavirus patients MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New saliva test for coronavirus piloted in Southampton MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local authorities across England receive funding to support new Test and Trace service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches NHS Test and Trace service MoD News 0
N Fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS £300 million additional funding for local authorities to support new test and trace service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trial of rapid coronavirus test launched in Hampshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK company delivers over 40,000 PCR test kits to Egypt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government expands expert team to rapidly roll out coronavirus test and trace programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus test, track and trace plan launched on Isle of Wight MoD News 0
J Fitness Test Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Government begins large-scale virus infection and antibody test study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary launches biggest diagnostic lab network in British history to test for coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Covid-19: Temporary changes to the Statutory Residence Test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on North Korea missile test - 31 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North Korea missile test, March 2020: Foreign Office statement MoD News 0
E Re take aptitude test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Is the Royal Navy psychometric test the same for the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Flight Aptitude Test advice - Aircrewman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
potnoodle psychometric test Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS Theory test changes: 14 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PHE novel coronavirus diagnostic test rolled out across UK MoD News 0
G Recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
E Beep test at the prnc and royal navy portal issues Joining the Royal Navy 2