Swimmer of the watch

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by nobby0919, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been round HMS Westminster at the Boat show.
    Chinagraph board for SOW states they are to be ready for 15 MINUETS before duty.........
  2. Those Speedo's can take some getting into.
  3. It's the John Sergeant influence.....
  4. When I was SOW. It was less time than that. If I remember correctly at the time it was 8 mins to be ready to jump in.

I don't know about nowadays though alot of things have since I left in 2003
  5. The SOW had to be kitted up and ready to go immediately. He was permitted to roll down his wetsuit top though, if it became too hot and uncomfortable.
  6. We only had SOW ready to go during RAS's and other evolutions like that. Otherwise the SOW had to go get ready when piped. During the middle watch and morning watch it was someone who was on watch in the ops room who took over from the SOW who was on during the day.
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I did shark watch once whilst everyone was swimming, still don't know if it was a wind up. :?
  8. would that not have made you GOW, Gunner of the Watch? 8O
  9. Nobby isn't it amazing how many posters can't see the wood for the trees.
    Oh the irony ;)
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

:lol: 8O :lol:
  11. When you recruit your branch from the lower end of the RT scores, you cant expect great spelling.
  12. Before the order to jump in "at hands to bathe" I remember the 1LTs brief, that, if you were attacked by a shark, you were to put your hands up and the CH.GI who was standing next to him on 03 deck, of a type 42 would shoot you. I am not quite sure, but I believe the CH.Gi was armed with an old enfield 303.
  13. This could easily become another "how stupid are dabbers thread". Perhaps we could all relate our experiences of dabber mongness.
  14. Some of Nobby's post definitely fell on stony ground here. For a start, 15 minuets is around the same time as it takes to make three cups of tea (Cha-Cha-Cha) or drink several canned goffers (Tangos). Secondly, anyone unable to tell the difference between being ready 15 minutes before going on watch and being at 15 minutes' notice would receive short shrift from the Buffer.
  15. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

depends on which sea you were on at the time!!!!
  16. Just had a quick re-read, point taken... one should not post after beer issue... :wink:
  17. Ditto lol
  18. Good way to wash all that coal-dust off though Welsh boi!!! :D :D