swimmer of the watch

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Saxon, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was just wondering around the RN website and read on some fellas profile that he was 'swimmer of the watch', just curious but whats that ?

tvm

S

2. Basically a ship always has a swimmer of the watch in case of a 'man overboard', he's the one detailed to get into his suit etc and get wet, used instead of or in conjunction with a 'sea boat' should that be lowered and deployed.

3. Didn't think we still had them. Obviously wrong.

SF

4. People still fall overboard, y'know?

5. Do they still have a "Life Buoy Ghost" on the Quarter deck when at sea?

While we are at it what do they use as a sea boat now, a 3 in 1 whaler or its replacment, or is it all semi ridged rubbery things with a massive outboard?

Nutty

6. "Life Buoy Spook" as far as I'm aware is still used during the daylight hours sat on the arse end in the hope his 'oppo' wouldn't go by! The "upper scupper" is out of bounds during hours of darkness with the exception of whole ship evolutions.

7. Swimmer of the watch works: outside Gib in ealy 1975, a couple of freak waves trapped the Casing Officer and the Scratcher on their dogleads under the foreplanes - Barney the REM went in and cut them out - result, 1 Chief Ops and another SSN Skipper. Safety has it's own rewards........

8. Since when ???

10. So when I come out of the engine spaces done first watch and after a shower I am unable to go up top for some fresh air before I turn in ??

Sensible ???

11. Thats right! Thats how it was on the Cov anyway, no 'Life Buoy Spook' during darkness and the 'Upper scuper' OOB. I think its a fleetwide thing but can't be 100% sure on that.

12. So what do they use as a sea boat these days and how is launched into rough water.

Nutty

13. Think a dabber needs to answer that one! Have a good idea but I may get
    'shot down!'

14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

First of all, a risk assessment is undertaken by the sea-boat coxn accompanied by the H&S representatives of all messes onboard. This is followed by a welfare committee meeting at which the availability of iPods for the sea-boat crew are considered. Finally, once everyone is satisfied that the launch is safe and that the welfare of the sea-boat crew has been adequately addressed, the boat can be launched, as long as the weather conditions have not changed significantly....

Belay that - you asked for current policy, not the policy that the H&S Nazis want to introduce :)

15. "Do you hear there, darken ship, darken ship. The whole of the upper deck with the exception of the quarter-deck is out of bounds; any person wishing to proceed on the upper deck is to first contact the OOW. That is all"

is generally the pipe I make, and have done on the last 4 ships I've been on....

16. Hmmmm, big change then from having the 'watch on deck' then, when not only was the upper not out of bounds bit it was manned by about six men under a killick.

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

On the Boats I was in, the upper deck was usually out of bounds most of the time.

:dwarf: :thumright: :dwarf:

18. Mind you I can think of the odd one I would have liked to have been watch on deck

:happy7:

19. Can anyone out there tell me what is used as a sea boat, how is it launched, by whom, who is the crew i.e. is it from the watch on or dedicated staff who may have to be dragged out of their pits. Plus any other useful facts about the operation.

Nutty

20. Swimmer of the Watch is a daily duty, detailed upon daily orders, and is expected for the 24hr period of his/her duty to close up when hearing the pipe man overboard. Funny how we still us the term 'man' isnt it?
    The Swimmer of the Watch is still used, as they may be the quickest form of recovery (due to the hour, seaboat defect, ship manoeuvring), also the weather conditions may prevent the launch of the seaboat, so the swimmer is the only option. For dangerous operations eg RAS etc, a swimmer will be dressed and closed up for the duration of the operation.
    "Life Buoy Sentry/Spook" is no longer routinely used to patrol the upperdeck during the day, they can and will be detailed in the event of a Man overboard to act as a stern lookout, but this usually is the boatswain’s mate standing on the Bridge wing watching with binos and indicating the man.
    During the hours of darkness the whole of the upperdeck is out of bounds (a suitable smoking area is designated depending upon the conditions). The upperdeck may also be put out of bounds due to gunnery/missile firings etc, inclement weather, etc etc at the discretion of the Officer of the Watch.
    The watch on deck still exists, and they check that the ship has been darken and warning boards are in place to prevent people going onto the upperdeck.
    This happens FLEET wide