swim test...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gazbo1988, Apr 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i start Raleigh in three weeks and just need abit of advice regarding treading water.. im a competant swimmer but found out that treading water is not my best skill... i heard that you dont need to be totally vertical and lay on your back abit as long you stay in that position and not float away ? how does that advice hold up down at Raleigh? or any other advice very welcome thank you
    gareth

2. I have done a few practices of the military swim test in a military pool, and I was told that your body needs to be completely vertical in the water. I don't know if that's the same at Raleigh, but surely it would be better to practice doing it the hard way?

3. i was totally vertical at the RNAC and they told me that i could lay slightly on my back... can anyone clarify?

4. Yes. The PTs who administer your test. Ask them when you get there.

The secret to treading water is to keep your head out of the water enough that you can breathe.

5. shit really thats why i always have a weird sinking feeling during !

6. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

When I did mine in February they did not seem to bothered about how vertical we were. What they wanted to see was that we floated, that we were in control (not thrashing about) and did not touch the side of the pool.

Practice a bit and you will be fine.

7. did you do yours at Raleigh?

8. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Yes.

additionally you do the test wearing overalls, and the final part is getting out of the pool unaided, which is not necessarily easy when your arms are fatigued from swimming with the weight of wet fabric on your arms.

When I was preparing to go down I would tread water for two minutes, swim two lenghts of the pool and then heave myself out. Then repeat.

Don't worry about it too much as it is not as hard as it might seem. You are given plenty of time for the swim test, the main thing is just to keep going.

9. thank you for advice.. i go to Raleigh in three weeks bit worried about the eye test cause eyes are shit but my run time is 9:20 so not really worried about that!

any advice welcome?

gareth

10. Watch where you're running

11. i run with a greyhound so i sorted on that count!

12. You run with deano? lol

13. Just think if you dont tred water youll go under water then drown, that should make you kick like fcuk and pass!

14. i'm training myself, and have looked around for help on the treading water. ive read that you have to be vertical?

15. To be honest, there's no really science into treading water. Just kick those damn legs hard. That's what I find helps me best.

16. i find if you use your arms it helps too :lol: lol

17. Well, yeah that too ;)

18. Jesus never had this problem.

19. I think you just need to seek advice from someone who has actually done the swimming test then you will have a clearer idea on what to do and then you can work on that?!

20. It's supposed to simulate jumping from a sinking ship, swimming away and climbing into a liferaft.

Picture that and you'll somehow manage to tread water.

I'm a God-awful swimmer but even I managed to pass the test. It can't be that hard!