Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rod-gearing, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just to settle an arguement,

When sweeping up is it better to sweep away from yourself or towards oneself?

I would appreciate fellow RR opinions. :?
  2. I'll ask the wife
  3. thought this would have something to do with closing time in Pompey on a blank week :roll: :roll: :roll:
  4. :lol:
  5. Can only think it might be like cutting.

Never cut towards your thumb
    Always cut towards your chum, :twisted: 8O :wink:
  6. Are you "cook" next week then? 8O :D :)
  7. I'm watch on.stop on in this house.
    Can't stop,got to do the brightwork now.Wifes rounds later. :cry:
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...depends on which way the wind is blowing!
  9. sgtpepperband

NZB: A Royal with a broom? That must've been a long, intensive course... well, having to teach them not to lube it and stick it up each other's back passages! :thumbleft:
  10. It might depend on the weight of what is being swept.

If you are sweeping something like gravel, you can sweep away from you, as the substance won't rise off the ground. Ordinary housedust, however, is much lighter; if you sweep away from you, the impetus will lift some of it into the air and scatter it, spreading the area which needs to be swept; in that case, sweeping towards you is better.

Yes, I do know that this is Diamond Lil's ......................................
  11. No probs sol, as a woman its right and proper that you should be allowed out of the kitchen at times to impart this knowledge to us. :twisted: 8O :D :wink:
    Er but this is not my point of view you understand, I heard it at the shop :wink: :oops:
  12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

In my experience, sweeping was usually carried out in teams of two, but could also be done individually or by groups working together. In all cases, the key was to maintain a nice straight line and minimise the amount of turns you had to do (big turns could be especially disruptive in terms of time). Ideally, when working in groups, you'd have an overlap with the sweeper in front - that way your chances of missing something were reduced. Irrespective, in all cases the sweeps would be towed behind you - no-one has yet invented a minesweeping wire that can be pushed in front of a ship. This is a naval forum, you were talking about muppetry weren't you?
  13. sgtpepperband

By the way, Rod. Why were you 'arguing' about sweeping up? If you can get that passionate about something so inane as good husbandry, I'd hate to hear your views on the economy or immigration! You should get out more... :shock: :thumbleft:
  14. The floor is dusted in what ever direction my sister kicks me round the room whilst clad in overalls. The corners are so painful and I usually end up with splinters from my parquet floor embedded in my soft, fleshy bits! :sad2:

On the plus side, I love the aroma of beeswax floor polish and the solvent, so it more than compensates :toothy7: :boogie: :crazy:
  15. It might be something to do with his other thread about distractions from sex. :wink:
  16. What!!!!!

I am shocked that this is being aired on this forum, now we will resume normal transmission,

18. I was instructing my daughter at the time who unfortunately has an opinion on most things.

In regards to the economy and immigration I'll have to ask my wife for my opinion. :lol: