Swedish Military Pilot Under Investigation for Stunt

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by sgtpepperband, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A swedish military pilot is under investigation after flying as low as 5 meters from the ground in 350 kilometers with a Hercules TP 84, the pilot a 50 year old experienced military pilot did the stunt after a military exercise at the military parachuters school outside Karlsborg in Sweden.
    The pilot said it was just a prank/joke and gave no other explenation, the head of the Swedish Air Force is considering if there will be issued any punishment towards the crew of the Hercules TP 84.

2. I don't know about the Swedes, but far from being a stunt, that sort of flying is a standard manoeuvre done by most air forces when dropping stores. Sounds like more journalistic sensationalism.
  3. So what is the problem!!
  4. They obviously havent seen some of the Helcs flying low through mid-wales on ops then. Kinell wheres my sick bag!!
  5. I was told I was flying low one day and was suitably embarressed!

I was going commando and she was my teacher at school!
  6. Nothin' to it. He could've got another 2 ins lower.
  7. Remember watching the USN BLUE ANGELS Hornet display at RAF Finningley. Does Finningley still exist or is it now a housing estate??

8. The RAF did it a bit more spectacularly in 1968 when one pilot did an unauthorised low-level flight over London and went under Tower Bridge.

The Hawker Hunter Tower Bridge incident occurred 1968 - the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Royal Air Force.

As a result of the emphasis on guided missiles over manned aircraft (originating from the 1957 Defence White Paper by then British Defence Minister, Duncan Sandys), the British aircraft industry had slipped into general decline in the 1960s. Furthermore, no appropriate aerial displays had been planned to mark the anniversary of the RAF's founding. Flight Lieutenant Alan Pollock, a flight commander in No. 1(F) Squadron RAF, decided to take the matter into his own hands. On 5 April 1968 he flew his Hawker Hunter (XF442) single-seater fighter over London at low level, and finally under the top span of Tower Bridge. Knowing that he was likely to be stripped of his flying status as a result of this display, he proceeded to "beat up" several airfields in inverted flight at an altitude of about 200 feet en route to his base at RAF West Raynham.

Pollock was dismissed from the RAF with no chance of an appeal. His case was finally heard in 1982 and he was partially exonerated.

9. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311688
  10. Sounds like a decent chap. Shame the bods at the MoD didn't (and don't) quite appreciate the quality of his flying skills. (Yes it was bloody dangerous but you don't know until you try, do you?)
  11. That's very low. Heck.
  12. It's hanging on a crane. He's airbrushed the cable out!
  13. And this is low:-

14. As is this:-

15. As is this:-

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Must be fun being the Ivan in the rear seat.
  17. Until Ivan discovers that adrenaline is brown :thumright: :-

18. Oi, Ivan. Flying. You're doing it wrong.