Swearing an Oath of Allegiance - a break in tradition?

Discussion in 'History' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For those that didn't already know, Navy recruits now swear an Oath of Allegiance when they join HMS Raleigh, in line with Royal Marines Other Ranks & the more junior arms of the services, presumably because of something to do with the Armed Forces Act.

The Oath, so I'm lead to believe, was introduced last November & comes in two flavours: Religious or Civil.

Those of us serving do not, so far as I'm aware have to swear a retrospective oath and there is no change in how Queens Regulations are applied.

At first glance, for my part, it seems a pointless break in tradition in order to appease the "purple brigade" & it would be interesting to hear other people's opinions on why an oath is necessary & only applicable to Ratings/Other Ranks, so far as I'm aware.

Does anyone know whether Royal Navy ratings used to swear an oath years ago?

(My apologies if this has been discussed before, but couldn't find anything)
  2. Will make a nice change from the Press Gang coshing I suppose. :D
    Tsk, standards.
  3. Ah but now there is an excuse to employ an Oath Compliance Committee, as well as an appointed quango (full of the great and the good, naturally) to advise on the oath and its application.

Naturally, there will be no Service representation on any of these panels but I'm sure we can employ a few more civvies!
  4. I'm just surprised that in todays PC world that swearing an oath to the Queen is allowed...
  5. When I rejoined I took the attestment. A female rating who joined with me and is currently drafted with me got scared because she was told she had to do the attestment and thought it was an exam. Bless
  6. 60 years ago RN folk did not swear an Oath of Allegiance; ratings wre considered potentially mutinous as a hangover from impressment; officers wre considered to be loyal and an oath was not necessary.
  7. You should have told her that it was an oral exam end that you would help her prepare. :wink:
  8. She's not all there bless her, nice enough though but not the sharpest chizel in the box
  9. Next week:

Jedi, Wiccan and Klingon oaths to be introduced.

Well, wouldn't be supprised.
  10. Here is an extract from Wikipedia:

All persons enlisting in the British Army and the Royal Marines are required by the Army Act 1955 to attest to the following oath or equivalent affirmation:

"I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God."
    The same oath is made by recruits to the Royal Air Force under the Air Force Act 1955, with the substitution of the words "air officers" for "generals".

No oath of allegiance is sworn by members of the Royal Navy, which is not maintained under an Act of Parliament but by the royal prerogative, or by Royal Marines officers, who unlike their Army counterparts are not enlisted before they are commissioned.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ooer, Wikipedia wrong? Surely not? :wink:
  12. (my bold)

Is that like Klingfilm? I’m always uttering oaths while trying to get it of the f*****g roll.
  13. I only uttered oaths when some smartarse put it over the trap for a jolly jape and I played the poo drum 8O :evil:
  14. N-S,

Is the Lord High Admiral aware that her subjects now swear an oath?

As the RN was formed by Royal Prerogative, I would have thought that she would have been asked first.

Or is this another of those Raleigh initiatives that are introduced without telling anyone else?

It would be interesting to see if BRNC are doing the same thing?
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Who he? :wink:

I don't think it was Raleigh's idea, but was brought about by the Armed Forces Act - commonality and all that.

When all's said & done, it's not worth the paper it's written on because it doesn't alter anything.

Officers don't swear an Oath because, as we all know, their loyalty to the Monarch is beyond reproach. Mine was also obviously was when I joined, but obviously there's room for doubt with regard those currently joining.
  16. I thought an hossifers oath was "golly gosh" or "goodness me" and other similar oaths
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Gadzookes & forsooth are still heard to this day around the Wardrobe, one is advised.
  18. HMmmmm, things must have changed from my time then.

Not only did I not have to swear any oath the only things I can remeber signing were my letter and form asking for AIB interview, and theat bl**dy F Ident 177 form in triplicate long before the photcopier had been invented.
  19. Especialy if you have a touch of the trotts
  20. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

An insult to the RN.

I also noticed on the Endurance programme that nowadays only a few messmates are lined up to hear a warrant read (instead of a pukka Clear Lower Deck) and they do not remove their caps for the recital of the Articles of War.

Reaches for gin bottle and Angostura bitters.
    • Like Like x 1