Swallow your pride and step up to the plate.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DuraCell, Feb 5, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just the waiting game now - although I may need some advice, long story short: I am dual British national, brought myself to the U.K specifically to join the Royal Navy, have been successful all-round with my application so far and am just waiting for PRNC then intake. I have been keeping myself afloat participating in a 'live-in, work-in' volunteer program, which is now over. Searching high and low for a civvy job to pay the rent and slowly running into debt, is shite.
    Now I understand the U.K and every other country for that matter hates immigrants but is there any support available to dual/foreign nationals who are in the transition phase INTO service.
    I dont have a wonderful academic record and the only other qualifications I have are maritime.

Any advice appreciated, I am a very keen applicant (unfortunately my family are not as keen as me, and their general response is unanimous)
  2. I hope that this doesn't sound flippant, it's not intended to be, but could you find something with McDonalds to tide you over?

Join the team :: McDonalds.co.uk
  3. Completed an online application with them - no response. Try Try again, eh?
  4. I am literally putting myself out there, willing to work anywhere, cleaning, gardening. You name it, I been doing construction full-time for 8 months, not getting paid but housing and food was included.
  5. Have you tried temp agencies? As long as you don't mind changing jobs every few weeks/months and aren't overly fussy they can probably find you something. Bars may have work even though they don't advertise, and supermarkets have a high turn over of staff and often fill jobs without formal advertising; perhaps worth asking them. Even though your quals are maritime, if you can find a way to sell the skills they entail ie) demonstrates i am a fast learner, reliable etc you might be alright- just have to spell it out on applications sometimes. There are always jobs in the care sector if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, try www.indeed.co.uk, local council websites and those of big chain stores ie) boots, sainsburys etc.

Also don't tell them you are planning on leaving...
  6. Just out of interest what is your other nationality?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm going for Scottish on this one.:smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Cornish :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If it is a long wait - why not consider joining the Reserves?
  10. American, judging by the baseball terminology in the thread title.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Or Canadian maybe. If the later why would you leave Canada to join the RN seriously lol.
  12. ...both wrong, try Jarpie/Saffa :wink: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For OP Duracell How long are you expecting to have to wait for an entry date?...... Where are you living? Would you consider moving, temporarily, to Portsmouth? ....... PM me with a contact phone No.....

Bob L
    (Once a frequent RR poster, now more a 'watcher' at this site)

PS Private Message just sent to DuraCell
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. ######################

BTW - Pride is that other thing I never, ever, swallow...:evil4:
  14. Could be a steward.
  15. Labouring work? People of the construction workplace like to have other people do the shit jobs!

16. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Try, fry again. ( I'm not mocking Burger workers. They are dignified by the fact they are working and not scrounging. )

The OP is Sooth Efreekeen. Although I am not a submariner ( TF ) I know of two South Africans who serve in bombers. They have British passports.

Work to tide you over? Postman.
  17. Safari park warden then?

18. I hear white dee of benefits street is looking for a man. Surely that's a fully paid job

Witty one liner
  19. There's two man rations available :)

20. Do not. I repeat do not tempt me :beer: