Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal Nav

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky

some cracking quotes on this daily mail article. "17000 Matelots are on the piss" I suggest the rest are duty watch/RA/At sea.

2. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

So do we believe the Mail's simple extrapolation of surveying 1333 matelots, getting a percentage figure and then applying it to the rest of the RN to come up with its 17000 alcohol abusers headline?

I really, really fcuking hate that paper with its sensationalism and scare tactics. Both it and Jeremy Vine (scaremongering [email protected]) should be banished.

3. Do we have 17,000 sailors? lol

4. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

The alcohol, as supplied to sailors in bars is designed to be consumed, so how are you abusing it by drinking it
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

5. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

So much for all that nonsense back in 1970 that by stopping the Rum Ration matelots would be become more sober and responsible ships companies.

6. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Its an alcoholic culture in disguise

7. Like many matelots, I don't drink at sea, followed by 3-4 days of spent in a haze of alcahol during the run ashore. Whilst I realise its probably not a good lifestyle choice long term, its probably better than indulging a smaller amount of boze every day.

8. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Always used to amaze me on patrol for 10 weeks. People would go on the wagon (duty free beer) and some would go on a diet (free food).
    Funny in't it!
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

9. young men ( and women) going out and getting pissed shocker......ffs almost as shocking as squaddie using a rude word shocker

10. I drank at sea when I had all night in. I drank when I got ashore. Not different now. I have a drink at home if I'm not being called out on work. I drink when I got out on a night out.

Think it's just another poor excuse to run the RN down by the Media

11. I don't drink at sea anymore and haven't done for a while.
    When alongside in Guzz I don't drink because I'd rather go home.

But

When alongside foreign, all bets are off and all nighters are relatively frequent if I don't have to turn to in the morning.

Does that make me a binge drinker or an occasional drinker? Probably binge drinker.

Does it mean I have a problem? Of course not.

12. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Why oh why do we keep seeing links to the Daily Mail (the newspaper that supported the good Herr Hitler) on this website? If matelots could have a tour of the Mail newsroom (also known as "find shit and publish it, it sells our rag to moronic Little Englanders" ) they would find so many pissed hacks that even they would be shocked.

13. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

I get lashed up to fcuk at every opportunity, and the Daily Mail can quote me on that the cnuts. However Journos are just as bad.

14. Good to see that the modern sailor is keeping up the tradition.

15. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

1. Why can't these buggers wind their pencil necks in and concentrate on the elements of Society that;

(a). don't work

(b). they understand

2. They won't be happy until we have USN type dry ships or abolition of the beer allowance.

3. What is all this "binge" bollocks anyway? Four pints in a day?

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/files/20031212_114408_Binge drinking update 2003.pdf

4. Bloody hell!

16. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

OMG shock horror! 'Jack' drinking? whatever next! The British matelot has ALWAYS been a drinker since the RN was started. It certainly hasn't done our reputation any harm when it came down to the nitty gritty has it?
    Ask ANY of our former or present enemies (or their fathers)lol
    Any Queens?

17. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Whats the problem?

18. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

The problem is that some idiot is now stirring up the British Public and all those interfering buggers who need moral causes to pursue. The MoD reaction to any of this is never useful.

Any true problem there may be will now be lost in a flurry of emotion, self preservation and self promotion. The Navy, as a Service, will operate sucessfuly without further external interference. In that respect, there is no problem.

19. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Thatcher the Milk Snatcher is to blame! Had they not abolished the daily Milk Ration, sailors would have grown up drinking pints of milk instead of pints of beer. :roll:

I always thought that alcohol and sailors were synonymous. :confused:

Where's Aggie Weston when she's needed! ;)

20. Re: Survey reveals shocking extent of alcohol abuse in Royal

Journos are bigger piss artists than stokers, and that takes some beating.

The Whiskey Rebellion
    In praise of booze in the newsroom.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2181183/

Alcohol: the media are in denial
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1121157

Key facts for journalists About alcohol
    http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/news-and-media/key-facts-for-journalists?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=print_friendly