Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly - RIP

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Drakey, Jan 13, 2018.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard.
    Sad to announce that Rick Jolly, Surgeon Captain, Falklands Hero, author of Jackspeak and true gentleman has passed away.
    We wish you fair winds and a following sea on your voyage to your final anchorage boss.

2. Aye, fair winds indeed. Rest now

3. Sad to hear, fair winds and following seas to you.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Spooky, I mentioned his name yesterday when someone asked if I knew of anyone who had been awarded a gong by the enemy and his own side.

I heard that in retirement he took a couple of voyages as MO in the RMS ST HELENA.

Normally, a link would be required but in this case I reckon that RR/ARRSE and God help us; Facebook are well ahead of the MSM due to personal and professional connections.

5. Sad news. RIP.

6. Gutted to hear about Rick, a true gentleman and all round good egg who undoubtedly helped with some of my oppos on the Plymouth during Op Corporate as with many other fortunate survivors who owe their life to him.

He signed my copy of 'Jackspeak' many years ago but sadly I had the book half inched..

Fair Winds and Safe Anchorage oppo - you deserve your rest

7. He's my Daughter-in-Laws Uncle, she's not said anything yet. Met him a couple of times.

RIP Rick and condolences to his wife Suzy.

8. Too many are called this lately but he was a true hero

RIP Captain Rick Jolly OBE, Orden de Mayo, RN

9. RIP Captain Jolly. True gentleman.

10. RIP Sir, sorted out my foot when I stood on a broken bottle at Culdrose Bop, told me to go back and rest it tomorrow great man, should have been knighted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. A few years ago (about 2002) I picked up a slight geographical error in Rick Jolly's personal account of the Falkland's conflict - 'The Red and Green Life Machine'. I emailed the publishers and asked them to pass on the message to Rick. Two or three weeks later, I was sitting in my French language evening class when my mobile phone rang. You could have knocked me over with a feather; it was Rick, thanking me personally for taking the time to report the error. I'm sure that his time was far more precious than mine, but that exemplified the type of guy that he was - a true gent.
    RIP Rick.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly has crossed the bar.

May or may not be CA but looks worthy of our attention.

13. Having been inside the "Red and Green Life Machine", and him surviving working with my mother-in-law, and man I have utmost respect for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

15. RIP Sir.

16. RIP Rick Jolly.
    He was my instructor at Seafield Park when I did an air medicine course. Also did several of my aircrew medicals.
    A character and true gent whose passing will be mourned by many.
    You’ll be in good company in the great beyond.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What a character! A truly significat loss of a much respected chap who was instrumental in saving a great many lives in the combat theatre and an inspiration to many who serve in the Royal Navy Medical Branch and indeed many Royal Navy Commandos.

A glass or two of port is called for.

Rest in Peace.

18. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. RIP Sir.

20. Real hero and nice bloke.
    RIP