Surface or sub

birdman26

Midshipman
I understand this has probably been asked a thousand times but up until my prnc I never ever considered submarines but after the breifs and seeing one at faslane it has kinda made me open minded to change, right now im going in as a ws (surface) but was wondering anyones opinion as if i should change to submarines or stay surface (bearing in mind im 16) I understand there is downsides and ups to it but just wanting some opinons thats all.

birdman26

Midshipman
Found the documentary and its making me lean towards subs abit more, ill think about it for a week then make my decision

fishhead

War Hero
Found the documentary and its making me lean towards subs abit more, ill think about it for a week then make my decision
Do what Wrecker says and join surface and transfer to sub(boats) later if you still feel the same. The upside of joining direct is that you should get into the RN quicker but don't let that be your guiding factor.

Sumo

War Hero
Damn interloper :rolleyes:
Knew it wasn't you wreckes he was a sprog with only 20year done, not like you father time:)
The upside is called surfaced, the downside is called dived.
I like wreckes did skimmer first, I enjoyed both for different reasons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Falkirk Herald: "Sub Tour Helps Bring Memories To Surface For Grangemouth Man" Submariners 0
P Marine engineer SUB VS SURFACE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Work to clear surface weed on the River Colne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tackling tyre graveyards as new road surface using rubber is trialled MoD News 0
N Surface vs submarines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
W Choosing a role help (Surface Fleet) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Current waiting list for a marine engineering role on the surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD and ASV Global sign agreement for unmanned surface vehicle software MoD News 0
G Marine engineering surface or submarine??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Joint_Force_Harrier Surface Fleet (Badge) The Fleet 143
S Main differences between the Subs and the surface fleet? Submariners 16
gerrysurfs Transfer from submarines to surface UPO/Careers Office 5
H Waiting times for engineering - surface or submariner? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Warfare Officer(surface fleet)/Royal Marines Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Submarine or surface? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Y Tranfer to surface fleet Submariners 9
soleil Mail: Have You Got A Diving Licence For That? Submarine Breaks Surface Of Milan St. Submariners 0
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Submarine service or Surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
trelawney126 Keep Blowing, Keep Blowing and Surface Submariners 6
C I sat my RT for CIS (surface fleet) in March 2011, when am I likely to start? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
J Joining up as a Marine Engineering technician on the surface fleet. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Guns The future of the CIS branch (Surface and Submarines) The Fleet 63
C Surface to Air missiles in Libya Current Affairs 10
D Changes to navys surface fleet Current Affairs 15
W Subs or Surface Fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 76
K Surface Fleet Flotillas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Comm. Warfare Officer (Surface) Training Pipeline? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
soleil Future Surface Combatant Programme The Fleet 9
Oil_Slick Future Surface Combatant - or not as the case may be The Fleet 28
A CVF and Surface fleet generally overview Current Affairs 0
M Weapons Engineering Officer Subs, or Surface. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B The Last Gun Action Surface. Submariners 8
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck emergency surface Submariners 54
S More proposed cuts in the Surface Fleet The Fleet 65
P Subs or Surface? Help please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S Four more ships for the Surface Fleet...? The Fleet 18
MoD_RSS Welcoming cooperation between the UN and regional and sub-regional bodies (EU) MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist Category - Sub Lieutenant Imogen Napper Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS UK General Statement, Scientific and Technical Sub-Committee of COPUOS MoD News 0
soleil Tw: HMNB Portsmouth - Burns Night - Sub-Lieutenant Ian Copland Explains Its History & The RN's Participation The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS HS2 to streamline procurement process for civils sub-contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response to the conclusions and recommendations of the Treasury Sub-Committee report on ‘Disputing Tax’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ESFA reminds providers it will take action to crack down on poor sub-contracting practice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to boost access to finance for sub-Saharan Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Waste companies fined for sub-contracting to fly-tippers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces first deployment for new sub-hunter aircraft MoD News 0
P What is this old Sub History 37
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Norway defence ministers plan sub-hunting co-operation MoD News 0