Surface Fleet (Badge)

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Jun 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been kicked around by the good ideas club for a while now. I think an actual badge has been binned. It's called a hippocampus I do believe.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Is that a large aquatic mammal that's been to Oxford? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. I noticed it a while back on the RN site but its started to appear on poppy badges now (facebook adverts etc)

4. Me, when I was a Boy Cub. Don't talk to me about badges.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Kinell Billy how come you managed to keep ALL those badges but found it nearly impossible to keep your Good Conduct stripes?

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Sounds familiar :(

7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Which is the 'keeping things that happened between us a secret from the authorities' badge?

8. It's under the Special Friend 1St class badge.

9. Is there a badge for collecting badges? :cool:

10. IMG_20160622_180642.JPG
    Should look nice above the left breast pocket.

• Funny Funny x 1

11. Isn't that the oath a (proper) scab lifter takes?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Speaking as a bog standard matelot, I've never felt the need to have a special persons badge with kissing kippers, wingy-things, parachutes, crossed wheel-spanners, submarines, etc.

I do think there should be an Accumulated Jubilee Medals Medal though :)

13. I've got the medal for all those Cold War patrols that "never happened". You can't see it but you'll just have to believe it's there ;)

• Like Like x 5
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Is it shaped a bit like an invisible willy?

I remember trawling up and down the Baltic coasts on a T22 Batch Two in the 1980s gathering "intel" for months on end, 'tail-out' with outboard surveillance going full clack, Ruskie tugs/AGIs trailing grappling hooks crossing our wake, getting "cut-up" by the Russian Baltic fleet, etc., I have the same invisible medal. It just has a suntan ;)

15. These invisible medals are not worth the material they are not made off.
    Perhaps you guys should cut your losses and sell them to the Walts on Ebay,

16. Believe it or not, when one of you used to go up the Barents etc, doing that, we used to follow you getting intel from the Soviets getting intel from you getting intel. :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 'Intel' ? Is that the same thing that we call 'int' in the British Armed Forces?

18. No, int is when a Yorkshireman tries to say "in the".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

The whole badges and pins debate comes up annually, trust me! The noise that was made to create the bomber pin was unreal. There was a debate about 2 years ago for branch badges/pins, thats re-emerging as part of the "ethos" drive. It'll quietly go away when the costs are considered.

I hope they kill the branch lanyards too....