Surface Fleet (Badge)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It's been kicked around by the good ideas club for a while now. I think an actual badge has been binned. It's called a hippocampus I do believe.

slim

War Hero
Kinell Billy how come you managed to keep ALL those badges but found it nearly impossible to keep your Good Conduct stripes?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Speaking as a bog standard matelot, I've never felt the need to have a special persons badge with kissing kippers, wingy-things, parachutes, crossed wheel-spanners, submarines, etc.

I do think there should be an Accumulated Jubilee Medals Medal though :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I've got the medal for all those Cold War patrols that "never happened". You can't see it but you'll just have to believe it's there ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I've got the medal for all those Cold War patrols that "never happened". You can't see it but you'll just have to believe it's there ;)
Is it shaped a bit like an invisible willy?

I remember trawling up and down the Baltic coasts on a T22 Batch Two in the 1980s gathering "intel" for months on end, 'tail-out' with outboard surveillance going full clack, Ruskie tugs/AGIs trailing grappling hooks crossing our wake, getting "cut-up" by the Russian Baltic fleet, etc., I have the same invisible medal. It just has a suntan ;)

slim

War Hero
These invisible medals are not worth the material they are not made off.
Perhaps you guys should cut your losses and sell them to the Walts on Ebay,

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Is it shaped a bit like an invisible willy?

I remember trawling up and down the Baltic coasts on a T22 Batch Two in the 1980s gathering "intel" for months on end, 'tail-out' with outboard surveillance going full clack, Ruskie tugs/AGIs trailing grappling hooks crossing our wake, getting "cut-up" by the Russian Baltic fleet, etc., I have the same invisible medal. It just has a suntan ;)
Believe it or not, when one of you used to go up the Barents etc, doing that, we used to follow you getting intel from the Soviets getting intel from you getting intel. :D

Last edited:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
The whole badges and pins debate comes up annually, trust me! The noise that was made to create the bomber pin was unreal. There was a debate about 2 years ago for branch badges/pins, thats re-emerging as part of the "ethos" drive. It'll quietly go away when the costs are considered.

I hope they kill the branch lanyards too....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Choosing a role help (Surface Fleet) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Current waiting list for a marine engineering role on the surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Main differences between the Subs and the surface fleet? Submariners 16
R Warfare Officer(surface fleet)/Royal Marines Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Y Tranfer to surface fleet Submariners 9
S Submarine service or Surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
C I sat my RT for CIS (surface fleet) in March 2011, when am I likely to start? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
J Joining up as a Marine Engineering technician on the surface fleet. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Changes to navys surface fleet Current Affairs 15
W Subs or Surface Fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 76
K Surface Fleet Flotillas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A CVF and Surface fleet generally overview Current Affairs 0
S More proposed cuts in the Surface Fleet The Fleet 65
S Four more ships for the Surface Fleet...? The Fleet 18
MoD_RSS Work to clear surface weed on the River Colne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tackling tyre graveyards as new road surface using rubber is trialled MoD News 0
N Surface vs submarines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD and ASV Global sign agreement for unmanned surface vehicle software MoD News 0
G Marine engineering surface or submarine??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
birdman26 Surface or sub Submariners 24
gerrysurfs Transfer from submarines to surface UPO/Careers Office 5
H Waiting times for engineering - surface or submariner? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Falkirk Herald: "Sub Tour Helps Bring Memories To Surface For Grangemouth Man" Submariners 0
G Submarine or surface? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
soleil Mail: Have You Got A Diving Licence For That? Submarine Breaks Surface Of Milan St. Submariners 0
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
trelawney126 Keep Blowing, Keep Blowing and Surface Submariners 6
Guns The future of the CIS branch (Surface and Submarines) The Fleet 63
C Surface to Air missiles in Libya Current Affairs 10
Comm. Warfare Officer (Surface) Training Pipeline? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
soleil Future Surface Combatant Programme The Fleet 9
P Marine engineer SUB VS SURFACE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Oil_Slick Future Surface Combatant - or not as the case may be The Fleet 28
M Weapons Engineering Officer Subs, or Surface. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B The Last Gun Action Surface. Submariners 8
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck emergency surface Submariners 54
P Subs or Surface? Help please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
D Interested in the Fleet Air Arm? The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Dstl acquires first fleet of autonomous ground vehicle systems MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Louise Fleet appointed Lord-Lieutenant for West Glamorgan MoD News 0
soleil Aggies: Vacancy For A Lay Pastoral Worker To Work In Support Of Commodore Royal Fleet Auxiliary, HMS Excellent RFA 0
MoD_RSS Heavy rail fleet accessibility compliance: time limited dispensations MoD News 0
D Royal Fleet auxiliary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal fleet auxiliary interview RFA 1
Happy Day The Fleet Air Arm Association The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: Pale Lane Farm, Pale Lane Fleet Hampshire (ref: 3204011 - 5 November 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A British-led fleet rotation ‘Tractable’ reached Lithuania MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl award £3.2m contract to shape UK’s future combat vehicle fleet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishermen in over 12m fleet urged to register now to be ready for EU exit MoD News 0