"Supporters' joy as HMS Victory's future is saved"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Pompey N: "Supporters' joy as HMS Victory's future is sa

Some good news for once.
  2. It'll be interesting to see if they can bring Caroline to Pompey as well. I read that Belfast are looking to keep her, but personally I think that as part of a group of historic warships Pompey would be a better place.
  3. You didn't finish your sentence is should have continued ...if it was nuked.
  4. :twisted:
  5. At the cost of around 4 million quid? The RN has more important things to spend that type of cash on.
  6. Did anyone see the Victory's broadside earlier?
  7. They should have saved the old G Spot Mast - as a tribute to Pinch and his fellow TROGS.
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Cn-btAkeI

Hopefully that'll work, if not then it is on You Tube as "HMS Victory Broadside Sep 09"
  9. I'm afraid 'old Caroline' is in bad nick and cannot be used even for RNR office accommodation - asbesdos has been mentioned so she fails to meet the legal H&S requirement for offices.

Word is the RNR is going to a shore base in NI... and the old dear is to be scrapped as Navy/Mod aint got money to fix her up - even as a museum piece?

And yes - Belfast do want to keep her as she is slap bang in the middle of the new 'Titanic Quarter' multi-pound developement and she's been part of the Belfast sky line for as long as I have been around...!

10. Was chatting to someone the other night and apparently she is rotten through and through. Barely anything works any longer onboard and she is way past her scrap date. A restoration would cost a fortune.
  11. "…
    The MoD has earmarked £6.5m per year for the first three years, which Dr Tweddle said would help them build a momentum.…"

And there was me thinking we had no money…

OK lads, switch all the lights back on, cost cutting days are over.
  12. Multi pound, eh. You Paddies certainly know how to push the boat out! as it were.

13. Well you know what happened last time they pushed the boat out in Belfast…

You want ice with that?
  14. Actually, they launched a few particulary good RFAs since then.
  15. She was working OK when she left us....!