Support Manager???

Soggy

Midshipman
What the hell is a support manager. I have asked ours and even he wasn't that sure. From what I can make out though he is a civvie with something to do with a budget. CAn he give me orders?? How does it work??

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Soggy said:
But what is it that they are SUPPOSED to do?

In my experience, "management" of the travel budget, (either making sure 1/12 of the budget is spent each month or alternatively hoarding it until February and then spending it in one go), "management" of the unit's electrickery budget and health and safety policy/management. Usually the SM role is a retired officer job with the incumbent being entitled to wear uniform but having no command responsibilities (I think). I did hear a few months back that the SM role would in future be open to civil serpents as well as retired officers.

Ah, now that is another question. They are essentially the Supply Officer (in old terms) They are responsible for the unit budget. They will have been in the navy in one form or another and are now employed as a 'Retired Officer' to carryout the role as the SM. They are to be treated (to their face anyway) with the respect the rank on their shoulder carries.

Unfortunately many of them find that there is no unit budget and have to fund training from their own bank accounts. Which is why they get so annoyed when we want to go anywhere. Others think CMR will give them a big lollypop if they have some money left at the end of the year.

I am aware of one who would not pay the £50 charge to change tickets to get 2 people back a day early from ORT. As a result they had to wait until the original flight, and be paid an extra days pay each as a result.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
Soggy said:
But what is it that they are SUPPOSED to do?

Our old one was RN, the new one is ex=RN. They look after the budget.

They do a great job as you can see from the state of most RTC traing/travel budgets.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
fullasternboth said:
I am aware of one who would not pay the £50 charge to change tickets to get 2 people back a day early from ORT. As a result they had to wait until the original flight, and be paid an extra days pay each as a result.

And here we see the folly of separating travel and training budgets and giving them to two different managers! The more I see this sort of thing, the more I detest the short-term, narrow-minded, myopic accoutants that have appear to have taken over!

Manny

Badgeman
Well the SM in PRESIDENT does a great job. He does manage the budget, all the reporting, all the Health and Safety issues, building management. You name it,he does it, quietly and effectively - which is why you may not see all the outputs.

I think the experience and knowledge that he brings, keeps PRESIDENT going.

Ignore your SM at your peril - he is the font of all knowledge, and can be very helpful.

WarMonger

War Hero
This is always an interesting point about support managers and their maintenance of the budget and responsibility for health and safety issues.

I have always thought that maintaining the budget and addressing HSE issues could be a conflict of interest and that therefore the two roles in the interest of best practice should not be combined..!!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
WarMonger said:
This is always an interesting point about support managers and their maintenance of the budget and responsibility for health and safety issues.

I have always thought that maintaining the budget and addressing HSE issues could be a conflict of interest and that therefore the two roles in the interest of best practice should not be combined..!!

I guess the worst example I've seen was a SM insisting that travel from Flying Fox to Faslane for a training weekend had to be by pusser's tilley. Driving in a tilly up the M5/M6/M74 for about 8+ hours, after a full working day, turning to at 08something on the Saturday and Sunday, each with busy training days all followed by the drive back down on Sunday afternoon/evening leaving you fully refreshed to start work on Monday doesn't sound particularly healthy or safe to me... but at least the travel budget would be looking healthy!

Latest Threads