Supply chain logistics

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by macca96, Nov 9, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just applied to become a supply chain Logistician and I'm a bit put off with the fact it could stick me behind a desk , I was hoping this job would be physical and active could someone tell me if this is true or is it a completely different to what I'm thinking ?
  2. There is some desk work involved as you can imagine, stock control which is basically what it is involves inputting various things into the computer for ordering, etc. However as an SC you are involved in more physical work dealing with the stock it's self on board and alongside when based on a ship. You will also have other roles ship dependent as well from firefighting, first aid to duty keys.
  3. I'm an SC, have been for 10 years. There are 2 sides to the branch, you can be sat behind a desk doing paper work (mustering AinUs, receipting stores on to account, writing up forms to charge people for lost kit and equipment, typing up high priority demands for mission essential equipment that's gone tits, sending daily stats to an area commander about the state of your stores, organising support service for when you come alongside), but that isn't the whole of our branch. You can also be working storerooms and jetties (basically receiving the stores as they come of the delivery wagon, making sure that they're given to the correct departments, and getting what ever is stock onboard and looking after that- basically humping and dumping). Then (on a type 23) your duty attack fire fighter in a fire situation, (on an RFA ship) flyco logger, recording when helicopters land and take off, you could be supervising the loading of equipment for a deployment abroad, or at a Royal Marines unit (there are more and more of these posts opening up for us SC's)- you can be put in the field and be expected to be able to supply an entire Commando Battle Group with enough kit and equipment to support them for an 8 week exercise, while also being expected to take duty manning security posts (just some of my experiances). Yes we do, do some office bound work (we have to account for the kit and equipment we store) and yes it can be boring belt drinking wets while sat at your desk, but we're not writers, we do have a very physical and hands on job in the SC branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brilliant thank you for your help , another question I have is what is phase 2 training like for a supply chain logistician is it just accountancy or is it hands on training ?
    Another question I have is that what type of things could I go into in civvy street with this job because I'm not the type of person to have an office job or become an accountant which I'm not to keen on doing ?
  5. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on phase 2 as when I went through training we were using a totally system and training is constantly changing. When I went through, I got a NVQ Level 2 in warehousing and distribution. Some of it is practicle in having to lift and shift, some is office based, just like the job itself. Other quals I've recieved since leaving training is my ADR, IMDG, RID and IATA (an expensive qual to get in civvy street, enabling me to work with dangerous goods shipments) and my CTU supervisor loader (enabling me to sign of shipping containers as safe for transport), my driving licenses in cat's B, C, C+e, D, D1 and C1E, and next year I'm booked on my forklift drivers course and I'm "only" an AB, the further up the ranks you go, the more qualifications you can get. Unfortunatly accountants is what we are (we're nicknamed SA's as our job title when I joined up was Stores Accountant, which was changed in 2007 for civvy organisations to better understand).
  6. I understand I just don't want to come out into civvy street and end up as an accountant the type that would look after my parents business , what kind of jobs would I look to go into after the service ?
    Could I go into something completely different to logistics when I come out or would I have to stick to the logistic side? , the type of job I'd like to think I'd go into is transport and movements after my naval career
  7. n-m, a typical Jack Dusty, complete lack of any information about issuing stores :rolleyes:

Stand fast the bit about 'making sure that they're given to the correct departments'
  8. What is your parents business?

It all depends on your drafts and what additional qualifications that draft requires. Like I say I'm qualified to drive multiple vehicle types due to having been sent to work with the marines and the RFA.

Or the bit about supplying an entire battle group (A commando unit, plus attached companies from other units)

If you were referring to stores are for storing- I'm of the type that likes giving out kit, I get happy customers that way and I don't have to stocktake the bloody stuff then either!

9. My dad is in the trades and my mum is in Beauty I don't want to think this job is the type of accountant that will look after them , I want to be able to store and deliver the equipment or parts I'm given , will you deal with bulk fuel and issuing fuel as a loggie ?
  10. We're "accountants" in the way we account for the stores, but we receive, look after, issue (sometimes deliver) and return the stores. I'm not sure how you mean when referring to "bulk fuels", on ship the ships actual fuel and things like avcat are managed by the engineering and aviation departments. We deal with oils and lubricants but only in barrels and drums.

11. It appears you're getting confused with the Naval term "accountant" in stores with an accountant in civvy street who is a desk bound bean counter, Jack Dusties don't do pay accountants except when issuing 126's for the gear you've lost/broken through negligence etc.

When you leave the mob, the world is your oyster, what you choose to do is up to you, doesn't have to be logistics, could be police, fire brigade, burger flipper and so on.
  12. I understand now I'm getting mixed up with a civvy accountant that's why I was asking so many questions I understand that supply chain is not a civvy accountant , by bulk fuel I mean fuel installations at airfields and commando bases etc
    Another stupid question but if we as supply chain don't often deliver the equipment and spare parts who does?
  13. That's just it, you do.
  14. What type of postings would I be likely to receive would I be in a naval stores close to home or would I mix between ship and shore ?
  15. Northern-matelot has answered that already.
  16. It took me all of 30 seconds to find the below (in blue), this is a cut and paste of the PDF Fact Sheet on the RN website for Supply Chain (Stores Accountant/Jack Dusty/blanket Stacker to us PSOF) , it gives the basics.

It's not a bad thing to come on line to try and find answers, but remember Navy Net is the UNOFFICIAL SITE for all things RN related, yes it has serving and ex Matelots, Recruiters, Officers and those with an interest in the RN, but you should check out the RNs website and talk to your RN Recruitment Office (see link)

As a Supply Chain Logistician, you’ll have the vital job of making sure your ship has everything it needs from the moment you leave your home naval base to the next time you’re in port – which could be weeks, or even months, away. While you’re at sea, you’ll order, manage and distribute millions of pounds’ worth of equipment from gas turbine engines to ammunition, medicine and even stationery. With your team on board ship, you’ll look after the storerooms and keep careful records. You’ll also work closely with colleagues on shore or in other ships to get hold of any items you need urgently both quickly and efficiently, even if you’re in the middle of the ocean. On a ship, you’ll also train as an Incident Board Operator, helping the battle damage-control team fight fires and floods.
    What we’re looking for You must have commitment, enthusiasm, common sense and the potential to develop strong organisational skills. You’ll be responsible for storing and supplying large quantities of equipment and supplies. As a result, you’ll need to be responsible, trustworthy and able to plan your work effectively. Above all, you need to work well as part of a team.
    Basic training Your Royal Navy career begins with 10 weeks’ basic training at HMS Raleigh. It sounds like a ship, but in fact it’s a shore base near Plymouth. The discipline, teamwork, organisational, firefighting and weapon-handling skills you’ll learn here will stay with you right through your Royal Navy career.
    Aim to get yourself as fit as you can before you arrive. You’ll be doing a lot of physical exercise, and you’ll find it much easier if you’re already in good shape. There’s also a swimming test, so if you can’t swim, make sure you’ve learned by the time you join us. You can find out more about HMS Raleigh at
    Professional training After basic training, you’ll stay at HMS Raleigh for a further 12 weeks, at the Defence Maritime Logistics School, learning about every part of stores accountancy in a modern and realistic training environment alongside experienced sailors. You may also go to sea on board a modern warship to help you understand its military role and where you fit into the team. After this you may spend a few months undergoing a consolidation phase in a busy naval base stores department before joining your first ship.
    Pay and conditions Royal Navy pay compares well with similar civilian jobs. As well as basic pay, you’ll get extra money for special skills, when you’re promoted and when you’re away at sea. We also offer an excellent pension scheme, six weeks’ paid holiday a year, and free medical and dental care. You’ll generally join us on a full career, which is 18 years or to age 40, whichever is later. You may have the opportunity to serve beyond this, depending on what you want and the needs of the Royal Navy.
    If you want to leave, you can send us your request one year before completing your specified return of service. How long this return of service is, will depend on the branch you join. You will need to give 12 months’ notice.
    Promotion You’ll start your career as an Able Rate and will spend time in the stores department at sea in a ship or busy naval base. With some experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and may choose to come on shore and work in a number of places, or change to a different type of ship. After that, you may go on to become a Petty Officer running your own department at sea, or on shore and then later you could become a Chief Petty Officer heading up a busy shore department or serving at sea again. Finally you could become a Warrant Officer working in a headquarters. If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you may also have the chance to become a Logistics Officer running the catering, stores and personnel departments. You’ll be selected for promotion on merit, so if you work hard, you can quickly rise through the ranks.
    Skills for life During your time in the Logistics branch you will have the opportunity to gain all kinds of professional skills, as well as personal qualities like teamwork, problem-solving and self-confidence. Training will be a constant feature of your time with us and we’ll help you gain academic qualifications, key skills and GCSEs. We’ll also help you work towards NVQs in Warehousing. You can also become a member of a number of professional organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport. As well as helping you develop your Royal Navy career, everything you achieve will be recognised and valued by a future civilian employer.
    Sport and recreation We can offer you a fantastic range of sports and other activities. All our ships and shore bases have superb sports and fitness facilities and we play a huge number of team and individual games. You’ll also have the chance to go on adventurous training, which could be anything from a jungle expedition to mountaineering and caving to parachuting
  17. Okay thanks for your help , I looked on the website and it's quite limited in what they say about the role that's why I came onto this forum to ask questions to serving or ex serving suppl chain logisticians thanks anyway it's answered my questions that the navy website couldn't
  18. I myself are thinking of applying for SC or Handler.

I do have a few questions that I cant find an answer to regarding SC.

1. Is their a lot of advanced numeracy required for the SC branch because my maths isn't my strong point.

2. When the ship comes along side does an SC get the same amount of time ashore as everyone else. I know stocking the ship along side is the main part of it but was wondering if you still get same amount of time off.

3. I heard that SC doesn't do watch duties is this true. What else does an SC get away with doing.
  19. As an ABSC of 10 years, here's my responses:
    1. As long as you can count without taking off your socks, you'll be fine. With a grade D in maths you can make Leading SC, To make Petty Officer SC, you'll need a Grade C or Level 2 Key Skills.

2. Some branches get make a mends during the "working day" as they work shifts at all hours of the night. We're "day workers" so we tend to work 8-5 alongside or at sea. But there are times we work (much much) later. Depending on your leading hands / PO, you may get time to catch up on missed sleep (say if you worked 8am-3am loading containers). No one dips out, just some dip in more than others

3. You're kidding right? We I mentioned in answer 2, we don't keep watches if that's what you mean? (Though in the Pacific we may split the department into a day shift and a night shift to facilitate signal and email traffic back to the UK due to time zones.
    As for actual duties (if that's what you mean?) on a type 23, you may be 1 day in 4 duty alongside as the duty SC for out of hours urgent demands (think along the lines of: kit is broken and it needs to be repaired. The Chief Stoker needs a spare part to fix it, you don't have it on ship and it needs to. E in your hands yesterday!), we will also pull fire fighting duties and sometimes may be part of the "Colours Party", helping to raise and lower the colours in the morning and evening.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  20. Yeah that's great info, thanks a lot for that. I've been waiting for someone currently serving in the branch to answer my questions. I've been reading so many webpages, done live chats and been speaking to the AFCO and its really hard to find any info of what the job and life is actually like on ship for an SC.

One question I forgot to ask was are their opportunities to get driving licenses for different vehicles?