Supplements at BRNC

RFAHopeful

Midshipman
Hi! I've done a bit of searching on the forum and only seem to be finding information about sports supplements here which I don't take. Apologies if I managed to miss anything.

Does anyone know if there are any rules at BRNC about supplements in general (not sports supplements). I regularly take a multivitamin (one that targets things like skin and nails, nothing steroid-y or sports-related at all) and also use herbal supplements to help with period cramps. Does anyone know if there are likely to be any issues with or rules about that while I'm there?

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
HI,
As long as nothing in them is bordering on an illegal substance that could be picked up in a drugs test, then is fine. If not 100% sure of the contents then I would advise against taking them, but vitamins are fine. If have an ingredients list then discuss with your divisional officer on arrival.

I had a few people want to use sports supplements, but on closer inspection some of the ingredients were not appropriate.

As long as you do not contravene the drug and alcohol policy you are fine.

Last edited:

RFAHopeful

Midshipman
HI,
As long as nothing in them is bordering on an illegal substance that could be picked up in a drugs test, then is fine. If not 100% sure of the contents then I would advise against taking them, but vitamins are fine. If have an ingredients list then discuss with your divisional officer on arrival.

I had a few people want to use sports supplements, but on closer inspection some of the ingredients were not appropriate.

As long as you do not contravene the drug and alcohol policy you are fine.
Thanks! I've just done a check through the ingredients and nothing is bordering on an illegal substance, however apparently vitamin B12 which is in the multivitamin has been known to cause false positives on drugs tests. Searching around for this has also lead me to find that so has ibuprofen. Should I be switching to a vitamin without B12 and stop taking ibuprofen (which I don't take particularly regularly but do from time to time) just to be safe?

Random

Lantern Swinger
and stop taking ibuprofen (which I don't take particularly regularly but do from time to time) just to be safe?

@RFA at HMS Raleigh was a formerly the RFA Officer at Dartmouth, his advice is always correct on these things, as said if unsure ask his successor when you get there and they can get it checked out with the navy medics. However I would be very surprised if anyone is concerned about the occasional use of over the counter drugs like Ibuprofen (its regularly handed out on ship by our med techs).

There is nothing terribly exciting about the drug part of our drug and alcohol rules. If you are legally allowed to use it in the UK, it should not be an issue, if you have stuff that is prescription grade, then make sure you can prove that your doctor has prescribed it.

Latest Threads