Superb hits a rock in the Red Sea

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reported by the BBC that HMS Superb hit a rock while dived and having damaged her sonar is on the surface unable to dive. No casualties reported.

Do Pusser go out looking for these rocks. What happened to survey vessels.

Superb

Nutty

2. Nutty, it doesnt just happen to the subs, we ran grimsby into Norway a couple of years ago, she is not long back in the water after a lengthy period in Rosyth sheds.

3. I am beginning to wonder on this issue myself. Superb, Grimsby, Nottingham, and more. I can remember Glamorgan (I think) running aground after trying to get into a small cove for a ships banyan, and the depth was obviously wrong.

No doubt there are more in the archives, and many more to come

Regards, Chris

4. Of course if it wasn't happening I'm sure there would be someone wheeled out to pontificate about todays COs being risk averse, in my day we took risks etc etc etc.

It was always so much better in the olden days, and of course in the olden days it was even so much better in the really olden days, and so on...

Ships and submarines hit things, it's probably more useful to identify whether the incidence is more or less than previously cf the utilisation of hulls.