Super salvage operations to rival Concordia

Discussion in 'History' started by SJRM_RN, Sep 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. LONG before the Costa Concordia capsized in Italy, salvagers fished out ships from the depths of the ocean with bold and innovative feats of engineering. Here are some of the most improbable salvage operations in maritime history:

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    (Source: Herald Sun)

2. Link doesn't appear to work.

3. Works for me.

4. Works for me too now.

Interweb must have needed the first shot of caffeine this morning or something!

5. Did you see the program, 'Who do you think you are?' with Sarah Millican , it was on a couple of weeks ago. She found out that one of her family had been a salvage diver in Kent, and had travelled all over as part of salvage crews. The early days of diving, the equipment used and pitfalls encountered were certainly well covered .

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I have read the book on salvaging the German Fleet at Scapa. Amazing story and well worth a read,

Inter-War Period 1918-1939
    COX'S NAVY by Tony Booth
    Salvaging the German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow 1924-1931 Published by Pen & Sword, Maritime, 2005

7. I think it was the Italians that had a battleship capsize when it was launched. I will chck that tomorrow for the name. They righted it and it went on to see service.

8. That would be this one then.

WONDERFUL ENGINEERING FEAT - British Pathé

9. Yes, that's it. I've only seen a series of pix of them righting it. Ah so it wasn't a launch ... and it didn't go on to see service. :)

Still it's amazing to see a battleship act like a Airfix toy in a childs hands.