Sundodgers United

WreckerL

War Hero
O boats were probably the best for their time but things move on with AIP etc, the new German boats seem to be good with their hydrogen cells.

Snag with DE boats is the need to re-charge snorting or on the roof, plus having bases, or agreements with other countries, to go in and re-fuel.

FOSM, back in the 90's visited an SSN I was on and used that reasoning as to why pusser was going all nuclear.

skyvet

GCM
Thanks for that info Wreckert, and please accept the "informative" for the update. I left the mob in 1974, so I'm out of touch with conventional boat progression.
Refuelling abroad of course offered some great runs ashore though!

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for that info Wreckert, and please accept the "informative" for the update. I left the mob in 1974, so I'm out of touch with conventional boat progression.
Refuelling abroad of course offered some great runs ashore though!
Indeed! Mind you, two numbers from 'O' boat days that have always stuck with me: 100,000 gallons of gas, 9,333 gallons of fresh water. Always used up the gas, not often that we ran out of water (sneaky notwithstanding) ;)

Topstop

War Hero
O boats were probably the best for their time but things move on with AIP etc, the new German boats seem to be good with their hydrogen cells.

Snag with DE boats is the need to re-charge snorting or on the roof, plus having bases, or agreements with other countries, to go in and re-fuel.

FOSM, back in the 90's visited an SSN I was on and used that reasoning as to why pusser was going all nuclear.
Hope they've got em fixed. https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/entire-german-submarine-fleet-action/

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having cocked up the German Military they are now letting Ursula von der Leyen
lose and President elect of the EU, what could possibly go wrong.

cheddarman

Midshipman
The P&O boats were certainly more "comfortable" if one can use that term when talking boats! Commissioned Narwhal and Walrus but spent most of my time on beautiful "A's".

Back end of Narwhal in the Faslane dry dock 1960. Think we had a noisy prop.

IMG_6488.jpg

Last edited:

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
IMHO anyone that refers to a "boat" as a "sub" is clearly talking through their "stern tube" :mad:
That is almost 100% civvies then, the times I was asked what 'boat'(s) I have served on, my reply was usually none, firstly I wasn't a steward, and secondly I was a 'gun-buster'.

I fancy the fwd SSE in a SSXBT!

Tough - Not granted.

Gas ejector approval is looking dodgy ,too...