Sundodgers United

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I was on the Argonaut with the first towed array and that is all we did - follow Tyhpoons - from about 100 miles away granted

Usual crap reporting - wasn't Akula's actually the fastest attack submarines in the world for a while ?

Then they show a 'new Russian sub' and it is blatantly a yank ?

WreckerL

War Hero
I was on the Argonaut with the first towed array and that is all we did - follow Tyhpoons - from about 100 miles away granted

Usual crap reporting - wasn't Akula's actually the fastest attack submarines in the world for a while ?

Then they show a 'new Russian sub' and it is blatantly a yank ?
We called them Typhoons (NATO designation) but the Russians called them Akula class. Just to confuse the issue, the SSN you mention had the NATO designation Akula but the Russians called them Shchuka which means Pike (don't tell him!!)

Akula is Russian for shark.

Sumo

War Hero
And still they failed to find us!!

View attachment 42256
remember when we used to use all forms of noise makers and discrete tonal noise makers for the target games, and we still had to tell them where we were.
Remember out on the Autec range, the yank moaned that our skipper blow some bubbles and did an hand break turn, so their torpedo missed, skippers reply,
I gave you noise makers, my depth, my location, my heading and speed, if you cannot hit me with that information you never will.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, while there may have been a bit of 'fumbling' ;) it didn't seem like the 'sexiest town in the West of Scotland' for my first 16.5 years!

It got better when I was sent back as a matelot.................!

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I got a good seeing too one night from a lively Faslane lassie on the ship parked at Rothesay - was it MV Waverly ??

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Waverley was built in 1946 and is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. It carries thousands of passengers on pleasure cruises along the Firth of Clyde every year and is a popular attraction at ports around the UK.
She's having her boilers replaced at the moment I believe.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The Waverley was built in 1946 and is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. It carries thousands of passengers on pleasure cruises along the Firth of Clyde every year and is a popular attraction at ports around the UK.
She's having her boilers replaced at the moment I believe.
Also, over on Loch Lomond, they are attempting to get the Maid of the Loch running again - she is also a paddle steamer. Happy days!