Sundodgers United

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
YYyyyyyaaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn - so sh1t floats, we all know that..........................................

skyvet

GCM
What happy memories you've stirred Sumo! Nothing can beat the experience of sharing the BIBS in the 100' lock with your oppo's on the Friday morning following Thursday's pay night Scrumpy session in the RA!
Incidentally, when did we go metric in the SETT? In my day it was 30' lock, 60' lock and 100' lock, and meters were the things you fed with shillings to get enough electricity to keep the beer fridge cold!

WreckerL

War Hero
9m, 19m and 30m now (or was until they binned pressurised training. I often wondered who swam down and re-painted the numbers when it all went metric.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I often wondered who swam down and re-painted the numbers when it all went metric.
Funny you should ask! I did several Ship's Diver dives in the tank, doing jobs. But not the numbers! The 'deep' diving 'work' enabled, or at least helped, me to get an HSE Diving Qual when I came outside, as one of the requirements was proof of work (X number of minutes) at or in excess of 30m.

WreckerL

War Hero
Makes the dunker look like a piece of piss. The odd guy must have bottled it surely ?
When I was a DO at Raleigh we sent the usual crop of trainee's up to do the tank. One was the class hard nut who joined up, in his words, "to fight the Taliban" plus similar "look at me, I'm well 'ard" rhetoric. He bottled it and got sent back with his tail between his legs and PVR'd shortly after. Turns out he'd joined the para's previously but bottled his first jump and got booted out :)

Sumo

War Hero
When I was a DO at Raleigh we sent the usual crop of trainee's up to do the tank. One was the class hard nut who joined up, in his words, "to fight the Taliban" plus similar "look at me, I'm well 'ard" rhetoric. He bottled it and got sent back with his tail between his legs and PVR'd shortly after. Turns out he'd joined the para's previously but bottled his first jump and got booted out :)
all mouth and no bottle?
Tanks was one of the best joy rides ever, if you could make that safe on a theme park the queue would be massive.

huwshpis

War Hero
Never did it when I was in, but I was a) not a Sundodger and b) a Reservist. Ironically, did do a 100 ft ascent without BA but in open water when I was learning to SCUBA dive 9 years ago.

Sumo

War Hero
Never did it when I was in, but I was a) not a Sundodger and b) a Reservist. Ironically, did do a 100 ft ascent without BA but in open water when I was learning to SCUBA dive 9 years ago.
Good for your heart and sole or something like that.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Makes the dunker look like a piece of piss. The odd guy must have bottled it surely ?
I did both - the dunker at Vernon was part of the Ship's Diver course. I think the dunker was worse. We are all sat there (first run) assuming the instructing team would give us a heads up (so to speak) instead of which in a micro second we were all upside down! It was brilliant course and even now when flying I think of my points of reference in case of escape - aka - 'Follow me!!'

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
I did both - the dunker at Vernon was part of the Ship's Diver course. I think the dunker was worse. We are all sat there (first run) assuming the instructing team would give us a heads up (so to speak) instead of which in a micro second we were all upside down! It was brilliant course and even now when flying I think of my points of reference in case of escape - aka - 'Follow me!!'
In fact the one that the civvies use at Aberdeen for North Sea training was far worse. Worse than the new RN one at Yeovilton. Chilled salt water for one thing, waves, and wind courtesy of movie fans. And in the dark.
Still reckon the submarine escape trainer would have had the edge. Just out of interest if the directing staff/ divers saw someone bottling it and not breathing out how did they deal with it. ? Stop them. ? Punch them in the guts.?
My ex crewman ran the VL dunker and I watched a bunch of rock apes in there one day. Totally bottled it. The divers could grab someone by the scruff of the neck and pull them in to the air bubble at the back of the module if need be.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Spot on mate, they stopped you and punched, mind you being stopped was usually enough to get you on the right track again.

I did some cold water trials at Lee, was fascinated watching the oxygen starvation exercises that the aircrew people went through. They had the underwater ejection seat set up in the pool that we were using but didn't actually see it used.

Taztiff

War Hero
Used to do quite a bit of flying out to ships when at Fost FMG.
Managed to avoid doing the dunker, got away with a local briefing per trip. Always ended with the aircrewy saying 'In the case of a ditch, follow me'.

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Spot on mate, they stopped you and punched, mind you being stopped was usually enough to get you on the right track again.

I did some cold water trials at Lee, was fascinated watching the oxygen starvation exercises that the aircrew people went through. They had the underwater ejection seat set up in the pool that we were using but didn't actually see it used.
Yes sadly the hyperbaric chamber was transferred to the crabs at North Luffenham when Seafield Park shutdown.
Couple of runs in there ( previous night obligatory curry run with a gut full of Ruddles) sounds like your sundodgers’ scrumpy experience. Amazing to watch the different personalities that people became with hypoxia. Some just keeled over, others quite aggressive.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Just out of interest if the directing staff/ divers saw someone bottling it and not breathing out how did they deal with it. ? Stop them. ? Punch them in the guts.?
On day one, they used to send up (from 100ft) an almost empty internal from a wine box - the silver bag. Sometimes a small inflatable toy. About two thirds of the way up it would explode......That tended to concentrate the mind on the correct drills.....

Yes and yes to the second part!