Sundodgers United

This question appeared on a (predominately) USN submarine site today:

Okay, all of my Cold War brethren...

Without revealing secrets. WHAT THE HELL IS A PROPULSOR????

To say I was surprised is putting it mildly. But wait, it seems the Merryguns have just INVENTED the propulsor. This is one of the first replies:

It is a new design for the propeller used on Seawolf and Jimmy Carter class subs. It was tested at the Acoutic Reaserch Detachment in Bayview Id. I was OIC for two years.

It was ponted out by me and a couple of other RN types that we'd been using them for 30 or 40 years. Even suggested they could have saved a lot of R&D dollars by just asking nicely!

Other news, America captures first Enigma machine.
Remember the trouser legs, the sceptics said they had sorted it out years before, we asked nice and they said sod off?
The propulsor is somfink that sits aft of and above the egg-whisk, every one knows that?

Remember the trouser legs, the sceptics said they had sorted it out years before, we asked nice and they said sod off?
The propulsor is somfink that sits aft of and above the egg-whisk, every one knows that?
Even a bog standard fixed pitch propellor is a propulsor. Any kind of submerged "push" arrangement that propels a vessel through the 'oggin' is is a propulsor.
If they are referring to a pump jet system, then yes, it was first trialled on Churchill in 1971 (so coming up to 50 years ago) and became the standard method of propulsion on all our SSNs and SSBNs thereafter. Even boats on the building stocks that had already had conventional props fitted at that time had their propulsion systems changed to pump jet.
The research and development took place at ARL Teddington so it is definitely a British thing.

By the way, the Virginia Class SSNs' "propulsors" are built by BAE. That should tell us something about, "It was tested at the Acoutic Reaserch Detachment in Bayview Id. I was OIC for two years." and pump jet propulsion was used on the Seawolf Class and the Jimmy Carter.

Remember when the Septics dismissed out of hand our raft mounting of main turbines?

Last edited:

pg55555

Lantern Swinger
....... and became the standard method of propulsion on all our SSNs and SSBNs thereafter. Even boats on the building stocks that had already had conventional props fitted at that time had their propulsion systems changed to pump jet. ......
Is there a reason why Trafalgar didn't get one ?