Sundodgers United

Remember flashing up the Popcorn machine in the beach bar and it nearly catching fire, smoke every where..
yummy beach bar drink, may be a bit of volley ball before rum kicked in. Saw sign saying sea had some form of skin burrowing mites, so didn't do swimming, just lots of R&R

yummy beach bar drink, may be a bit of volley ball before rum kicked in. Saw sign saying sea had some form of skin burrowing mites, so didn't do swimming, just lots of R&R
It wasn't the mites that worried me in Andros, it was the horse flies that gave a very nasty bite. Anyone remember the barracuda that used to hang around the pontoon that you could swim out to? I think it was used to jack as it always swam off when anyone was brave enough to try to get up close to it. Rum gives you the bravery pill to try to do that.

It wasn't the mites that worried me in Andros, it was the horse flies that gave a very nasty bite. Anyone remember the barracuda that used to hang around the pontoon that you could swim out to? I think it was used to jack as it always swam off when anyone was brave enough to try to get up close to it. Rum gives you the bravery pill to try to do that.
I have a life long survival policy, do not mix alcohol and water, that includes swimming.

There were lots of flies - one was called the Dr Fly, as it (allegedly) landed on you, injected an anaesthetic then flew off - coming back to feast later when the anaesthetic had kicked in. The other was a minute little bugger that was all teeth - so small they were called No See'ums.

Re Barracuda - they look fearsome, but will not bother you. I have dived in among literally hundreds of them - all watching me with a beady eye.........

I thought 'The Guardian' and 'nuclear submarines' and went hmmmm. So I read it - what a load of crap! Fillet steak etc and all washed down with fine wines. They forgot to mention that this would have been a mess dinner. As for crew members dressing up as women - well, that's why they are called bomber queens!!! ;)

Predictably the "Ban the Bomb" crowd don't like it which is a little ironic as it can be argued that the nuclear deterrent has done more to stop armageddon than all their marches and banner waving.

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
Predictably the "Ban the Bomb" crowd don't like it which is a little ironic as it can be argued that the nuclear deterrent has done more to stop armageddon than all their marches and banner waving.
They don't accept that argument, of course, as is clear from the article. We don't hear very much from them these days; have these "useful idiots", to use the old KGB term, lost what little relevance they ever had?

I thought 'The Guardian' and 'nuclear submarines' and went hmmmm. So I read it - what a load of crap! Fillet steak etc and all washed down with fine wines. They forgot to mention that this would have been a mess dinner. As for crew members dressing up as women - well, that's why they are called bomber queens!!! ;)
Steak, 1\2 bottle of red and cheese board , standard Saturday night at sea.

I thought 'The Guardian' and 'nuclear submarines' and went hmmmm. So I read it - what a load of crap! Agreed.

... As for crew members dressing up as women - well, that's why they are called bomber queens!!! ;)
Oi, that's a bit unfair: Sods Opera a la Polaris was same-same as gens, better even.

[Moi? Pam Ayres ugly sister = Pubic Ayres, all downhill after that intro. Then Angela Nippon and Kinkee Dee, but that's another story...]

This question appeared on a (predominately) USN submarine site today:

Okay, all of my Cold War brethren...

Without revealing secrets. WHAT THE HELL IS A PROPULSOR????

To say I was surprised is putting it mildly. But wait, it seems the Merryguns have just INVENTED the propulsor. This is one of the first replies:

It is a new design for the propeller used on Seawolf and Jimmy Carter class subs. It was tested at the Acoutic Reaserch Detachment in Bayview Id. I was OIC for two years.

It was ponted out by me and a couple of other RN types that we'd been using them for 30 or 40 years. Even suggested they could have saved a lot of R&D dollars by just asking nicely!

Other news, America captures first Enigma machine.