Sundodgers United

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Lot of technology in a boats propulsor! First time I saw one I thought - now that is a propeller!!!!

You'd laugh if I told you how Westlands put a 1.5 degree twist on a rotor blade!!!!
The rotor blade is placed in a jig. Then a geezer holding a huge length of scaffolding pole hangs off it until the angle is reached!! Seriously hi-end tech!!!!! I would like to think the blades that keep the Merlins and Wildcats airborne are built using a bit more tech!!
There's two different types of propulsor, depending on the fixed and moving blades configuration. I can't remember the pros and cons of each type now though. I only ever had one boat fitted with a propeller, not counting the one big grey thing I had.

Sumo

War Hero
There's two different types of propulsor, depending on the fixed and moving blades configuration. I can't remember the pros and cons of each type now though. I only ever had one boat fitted with a propeller, not counting the one big grey thing I had.
Pros and con, not for this form?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I found this on another site - no idea of the veracity. Enjoy!

1656024614509.png

In 1998, fishermen spotted a manned North Korean submarine tangled in nets in South Korean waters. South Korean Navy ships placed the disabled sub under tow at which point it sank after possibly being scuttled by the crew. When a salvage team was able to recover the sub, it was discovered that the crew had been executed by officers who then committed suicide. Items found in the sub also indicated that the sub was carrying members of North Korean special forces who had recently infiltrated the South Korean mainland.

Waspie

War Hero

View attachment 63443

In 1998, fishermen spotted a manned North Korean submarine tangled in nets in South Korean waters. South Korean Navy ships placed the disabled sub under tow at which point it sank after possibly being scuttled by the crew. When a salvage team was able to recover the sub, it was discovered that the crew had been executed by officers who then committed suicide. Items found in the sub also indicated that the sub was carrying members of North Korean special forces who had recently infiltrated the South Korean mainland.
In 1990, I was part of a two man team who trained the South Koreans to use their newly acquired Lynx Mk99 complete with AQS21V dipping sonar. This was in answer to an increasing submarine threat by the North. Looks like they weren't wrong.

Sumo

War Hero

View attachment 63443

Looks Kin small

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Careful now . . . responses on this thread are in danger of getting head-hunted to script for The Grand Tour!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Taken from a FB site:

The hulk-cum-depot ship in the background is HMS Dolphin of 1882 and this is in Haslar Creek, Gosport. The submarines have been berthed in class order with an A class outboard, then B1, C35, D2 and E1. The date is 1913-1914. E1 completed in early 1913 and both E1 and D2 moved to their war station at Harwich on 31 July 1914.
May be a black-and-white image of outdoors