Sundodgers United

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
WTF is an EX submariner. You either are a submariner or you're not. If pongo officers can call themselves captain, major or even general long after they've done with soldiering that same must apply to submariners. I am plain Mister but I'll be a submariner forever.
I know how you feel. My Postie keeps asking me what CWEA(SM)(ADC) means!
^I agree (nearly)...

As a submariner through & through, but no longer serving or liable to any further sea-time in boats, I'll sometimes accept/confess to being a former submariner within polite company.

But 'ex-'...NEVER!

SWMBO was watching the Trenchant programme the other day and said she had some questions. By coincidence, I had recently found my Pt3 training note book and was able to show her all my drawings of all the systems, Vent States, HP or Hydraulic bursts etc. She was somewhat gob-smacked.

Me? couldn't remember most of it!

Sumo

War Hero
Transition, on entry all are skimmers, if joining as SM or selected as SM still a skimmer until Prt3 Qualified (or whatever its called now) once Per 3 Q dolphins issued, submariner, submariner returned to skimmers, retired submariner and eventually hopefully after a long innings you die as a submariner, simple init.

skyvet

GCM
Transition, on entry all are skimmers, if joining as SM or selected as SM still a skimmer until Prt3 Qualified (or whatever its called now) once Per 3 Q dolphins issued, submariner, submariner returned to skimmers, retired submariner and eventually hopefully after a long innings you die as a submariner, simple init.
Slight deviation from thread, but I remember doing my Killick's course at Collingrad back in 1900 and frozen to death! As a qualified submariner, and along with other sundodgers, I turned up wearing my HM Submarines cap tally. We were all told to remove said tally's and replace them with Collingrad tally's. We refused, and cutting a long story short, it went all the way up to the admiralty (via FOSM) and happy to say, sundodger cap tally's were quickly approved as they formed part of our official uniform. Small victories sometimes feel good!

Wightsparker

War Hero
Slight deviation from thread, but I remember doing my Killick's course at Collingrad back in 1900 and frozen to death! As a qualified submariner, and along with other sundodgers, I turned up wearing my HM Submarines cap tally. We were all told to remove said tally's and replace them with Collingrad tally's. We refused, and cutting a long story short, it went all the way up to the admiralty (via FOSM) and happy to say, sundodger cap tally's were quickly approved as they formed part of our official uniform. Small victories sometimes feel good!
You must have been standing by during the build of Holland 1!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Same happened when I did killicks course at Collingrad, we lost that time and had to put Collingrad tallies on (this was 1980).

slim

War Hero
Same happened when I did killicks course at Collingrad, we lost that time and had to put Collingrad tallies on (this was 1980).
The only thing that surprises me is that submariners actually had caps.
What was the routine?
Sign one out on temp loan from the boat for the duration of the course?

pompeyexpat

War Hero

I think the rules were that if you were drafted somewhere for more than 6 weeks you were supposed to change cap tally - though discretion could be exercised (and usually was). I found that out on Mechs course on 2001 when a new Gunnery Officer joined Collingwood and made us change our cap tallies.

I don’t know how many times I heard the argument ‘You can’t make me, it was awarded to me!’, which was just crap; your Dolphins were the award not the cap tally.

However…..

It’s now changed. To quote BR3;

“ Junior Ratings who are on the trained strength and who are assigned to a training establishment for a Career Course shall wear the cap ribbon of that training establishment, except that submariners may continue to wear the “HM Submarines” cap ribbon and entitled members of the FAA may continue to wear the “Fleet Air Arm” cap ribbon.”

slim

War Hero
I think the rules were that if you were drafted somewhere for more than 6 weeks you were supposed to change cap tally - though discretion could be exercised (and usually was). I found that out on Mechs course on 2001 when a new Gunnery Officer joined Collingwood and made us change our cap tallies.

I don’t know how many times I heard the argument ‘You can’t make me, it was awarded to me!’, which was just crap; your Dolphins were the award not the cap tally.

However…..

“ Junior Ratings who are on the trained strength and who are assigned to a training establishment for a Career Course shall wear the cap ribbon of that training establishment, except that submariners may continue to wear the “HM Submarines” cap ribbon and entitled members of the FAA may continue to wear the “Fleet Air Arm” cap ribbon.”
As an ex Wafu I never knew anyone who wore a FAA cap ribbon.
Depending on where you where would depend on which cap tally you wore.
I was at RAF Honington and my mate was at another establishment.
The cap tally worn by junior rates was HMS Heron which was the parent establishment for those wafus not on a naval establishment.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

However…..

Mid 1960's at Mercury I was wearing Submarines cap tally (no Dolphins in those days just the sausage on a stick which most of us refused to wear), a Reggie told me to change my cap tally to a Mercury one, I refused saying I was qualified to wear the Submarines one, He went off to get advice and I heard no more. I think I was the only JR Submariner at Mercury at the time, it really impressed the new entry Jennies ;);)