Sundodgers United

Any time I was helmsman if an order was given I had to repeat the order back confirming I had heard it correctly before actually carrying out the order. Two things. I don't recall ever seeing a Stokie boy sitting on the helm or the planes and secondly the accused never repeated anything so it couldn't be assumed he'd actually heard the order. Am I taking this too seriously?
My thoughts exactly. If the helm order wasn’t repeated by the helmsman, it was either not heard or not clear enough to be understood. That’s the fault of the person giving the order unless the helmsman was asleep or not paying attention.
Whatever the circumstances, the helmsman can’t be blamed for not obeying the order if he didn’t hear and acknowledge it, in which case it should have been given again, perhaps with an accompanying ‘encouragement’ to sharpen up. Relieving him at his station appeared to be an unjust decision but I am fully aware that things are not always what they seem in such TV programmes.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
My thoughts exactly. If the helm order wasn’t repeated by the helmsman, it was either not heard or not clear enough to be understood. That’s the fault of the person giving the order unless the helmsman was asleep or not paying attention.
Whatever the circumstances, the helmsman can’t be blamed for not obeying the order if he didn’t hear and acknowledge it, in which case it should have been given again, perhaps with an accompanying ‘encouragement’ to sharpen up. Relieving him at his station appeared to be an unjust decision but I am fully aware that things are not always what they seem in such TV programmes.
That's the confusing bit, Ship Control and the Planesman should have repeated and then carried out the course change but the panel operator got the flack and was relieved. Having had 2 T boats as a panel operator I can guarantee course changes having nothing to do with the panel, up and down yes, left and right no.

Whilst I'm being an armchair critic, when the atmosphere was out of spec and they went on EBS, the narrator said they had to fix the scrubbers before the emergency oxygen ran out, that's bollix, EBS uses LP air and you can stay on EBS until the bottle groups drain down, so probably stay on it months!

Last edited:

BusterQuin

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Whilst I'm being an armchair critic, when the atmosphere was out of spec and they went on EBS, the narrator said they had to fix the scrubbers before the emergency oxygen ran out, that's bollix, EBS uses LP air and you can stay on EBS until the bottle groups drain down, so probably stay on it months!
I said that to my Mrs, there was certainly a lot of artistic licence being used

Sumo

War Hero
242325495_10226491207216005_2992649787453708145_n.jpg

Latest Threads