Sundodgers United

Lemacque

Badgeman
No comments on last night's Trenchant documentary then.........I thought it was very good
I watched it, and enjoyed it far more than the evil bbc version. Had a full 40 minute run-down/review of it from ex T boaties in the office, with added drips about vigil, and many many other tangents......... Never a dull day in the yard :)

pompeyexpat

War Hero
The editing confused me and narrative confused me a little. They were on workup, as evidenced by the FOST badges in O Group, and the pictures showed a fire being dealt with fwd (in the galley I think) while the narrator talked about a fire aft. And the CHOPs cutting hair in an empty sound room just after they’d dived.

Though possibly I missed something because it didn’t have my full attention. Still enjoyed it.

fishhead

War Hero
When you watch a documentary about a subject of which you have no knowledge you have to take things at face value. However when you see something like the Trenchant offering and the way the production company tries to sex it up you realize how much you must have been conned over the years. Some parts rang true but there was plenty of WTFery.

Ok, serious question for sundogers. Just finished reading a book by a guy by name of Bridgeman.....joined the mob late 70's as a junior stoker...ended up on Mechs course etc, became a tiff (spits), and to boats he did go. Ended up as a WO. Got an MBE. Title of book is My Bloody Effort. Not a bad read, learned a bit about nuclear propulsion etc. He seems a bit of an 'I Am'....gods gift to boats....may be doing him a disservice....
Bit of his early days in the mob raised my eyebrows a bit, particularly his time on the Ark....
I left the mob mid seventies.

^Mmm, I read it too a while ago & recall from what he wrote that he played a significant role in ID'ing the 'fix' on the broken kettle. Perhaps the input of others in his team ATT was played down/missing but you didn't gain an MBE & WO promotion in boats by collecting vouchers from wheatie packets!

A couple of decades after my time in Nucs but overall 'twas believable (no-one has called him out in the Amazon* reviews) & a good read overall so fair play to the man.

*Kindle version is a bargain at
1631683509554.png

To view another Nuclear Engineer's (MBE) story from the wardroom angle I strongly recommend:

1631684161857.png
Compared with the Bridgeman story Eric's Kindle will cost you an extra 1p but well worth it IMHO & I was there..!

Attachments

• 1631683492635.png
    1631683492635.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 1

Topstop

War Hero
^Mmm, I read it too a while ago & recall from what he wrote that he played a significant role in ID'ing the 'fix' on the broken kettle. Perhaps the input of others in his team ATT was played down/missing but you didn't gain an MBE & WO promotion in boats by collecting vouchers from wheatie packets!

But you can go to sultry climes, live in a luxury bungalow with two "house keepers" and shag every thing in sight with a UN peace keeping force, at HQ, and get the M*** Bonked Everything. No WO Rank for him though.

BusterQuin

War Hero
I know Steve Bridgeman, we were on a T boat together just after he finished Mechs course, he's a good bloke.
I read his book and thought it was a good read
He was on Mechs course around the the same time time as me, and I think he was over egging things by saying he was studying 4+ hrs every night for the whole of mechs course, no-one I knew on course done that much study

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Oh dear how very sad for France.....

I wonder if we will see lots of Aussie MEAs joining our boats for training and/or a very attractive recruiting package for 'leaving' suitably qualified back afties?

Should be lots of opportunities for lots of people - unless you're a Kiwi!!

Off Caps

Midshipman
Oh dear how very sad for France.....

I wonder if we will see lots of Aussie MEAs joining our boats for training and/or a very attractive recruiting package for 'leaving' suitably qualified back afties?

Should be lots of opportunities for lots of people - unless you're a Kiwi!!
Leave us out of it!