Sundodgers United

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Even with the age of the PSOFs on here, I doubt if anyone will recognise people from this 1960 movie! I confess to recognising the Main Gate, as we used to go to kiddies parties on Adamant!

@SONAR-BENDER

fast forward to 1:22, I’m sure the projector operator by the late 1980’s was well known in the careers service, CPO Jim Bowen, absolute gent

@buffersduffer - I do not think it is the same person but that cine-op guy at 1:22 does bear a close likeness to the CPO Weapons Mechanician Jim Bowen BEM whom I served with in REVENGE during the mid/late 1970s.

My CPO Bowen left the RN and became a Recruiter at either Swansea or Cardiff on the Welsh circuit for many years. A fearsome looking, stout fellow with grey beard and grey hair but with a heart of absolute gold, full of encouragement and empathy; particularly towards his young WEMS in our MC whose role on watch included a never ending hourly tour at each level to check every Polaris tube's security padlocks for signs of interference or sabotage (none was ever found, BTW, on our boat or on any other R boat that I know of). I last heard from him around 20 years ago. ATT he had been suffering badly from diabetes and had at least one leg amputated from it's effects by then, poor old chap.

I can put a couple of other names to faces - The bearded fellow at the left hand edge of the front row of that movie audience was their PO R. El. Tom D****r, a Branch contemporary.

That handsome ginger Lt. supervising the planesmen in the opening scenes is Paul H*******t, later the CO of ANDREW and then REV (P) an all-round good egg and affectionately know to us as 'Dan Dare' due to his likeness to that character in the EAGLE comic. @janner will know him too, from his Dorset SM Assoc Branch role.

The Grocer (serving up the bubbly from the wicker-clad ceramic jar) is one Cox'n Hands, later to be one of my SM Part One Course Instructors at DOLPHIN around 1967-ish. (A few years after that I believe that he was selected at the first tranche of S/M Fleet Chiefs, too.)

Lt. Tom Le M******t*, being served his meal in that group of three in the Wardroom at 4:06-ish, & again observing the three vertical papertrace recorders at 6:12-ish. He later became our Navigator in Warspite before completing a fine S/M career culminating as Captain SM 10.

*See more of Lt. Le M at #75 et al at:

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/your-deepst-dive.30117/page-7

...and breathe.

fishhead

War Hero
Even with the age of the PSOFs on here, I doubt if anyone will recognise people from this 1960 movie! I confess to recognising the Main Gate, as we used to go to kiddies parties on Adamant!

I never saw a Chief Jack Dusty with or without a set on any boat I served on. I liked the part where they said the boat had been away so long that when they got back to the loch it was raining. Could have been the next day or even later the same day.