Sundodgers United

Agree, is that something as a sundodger you ever think about or just put to the back of your mind?
Personally, it was something that was put at the back of my mind.

You have to have a certain amount of trust that the occifers will operate the boat within design parameters. After all, the y have families to go home to as well.

You feel for the loss of the crew but have to wonder that if the 14 day cycle rogue wave was the cause, and a known quantity, why they did not do their best to avoid it? Small comfort but if it was a rapid descent, while knowing their fate at least it would have been quick rather than the prospect of diminishing oxygen supplies and a slow death.

I take it that most are aware of the just giving page in support of the submarines families via the WRS website?

RESURGAM

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
My first trip on a boat was back from Gib, fast and deep. I went up into the fwd escape compartment and looked at the torpedo loading hatch, above which was 900ft of water. Sat there for a couple of minutes, thought 'no problem' and bimbled off.

It was never thought about, the same way that skimmers never think about their ship suddenly sinking.

There may have been one or two 'interesting' moments, but I never thought about looking for an escape suit!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
First deep dive I was on my way back aft, I was standing underneath the (shut!) Main Access Hatch waiting to go through the tunnel doors, and like SB, just thought that's an awful lot of water above me, after that just put it to the back of my mind.

Like other submariners on here I've had a couple of "interesting " incidents that have made me consider a career can but stayed the course in the end.

Sumo

War Hero
When the aft SSE stopped working, someone had the bright idea of firing bathies from fwd SSE, OA and it had a look, and yes aft Bathy part of SSE would fit, but would require single Vv isolation on both SSE's at the same time. Job done, pairs of weapon wire run through all doors open, including tunnel to fire Bathy. A few questions were asked of the OA and I.

Topstop

War Hero
Swiftsure, first of the "deep divers" had the bulkheads, messes and spaces etc. rigidly connected to the deckhead as well as the decks. When we did a deep dive the bulkheads would bow about 9". There was a gap between the galley and the gash ejector space that you could fit your head through. It didn't seem to bother anyone else so I took it as the norm so it didn't bother me. Later S Boats the they were only conected to the decks and didn't bow.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've been thinking about the Indonesian Boat, She was 40+ years old and no matter how many refits She had, it doesn't change the base date. I wonder how good crew training is and what the ratio to trained crew, part 3's and extras was. One thing pusser has got right, in my opinion is training, I always felt that when things went wrong, as happened from time to time, we as a crew were good enough to overcome things. Yes it was worrying when large quantities of water came in but I never saw anyone panic.

I was interested to read her reported maximum diving depth, I would have been very surprised if that was an accurate figure.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Swiftsure, first of the "deep divers" had the bulkheads, messes and spaces etc. rigidly connected to the deckhead as well as the decks. When we did a deep dive the bulkheads would bow about 9". There was a gap between the galley and the gash ejector space that you could fit your head through. It didn't seem to bother anyone else so I took it as the norm so it didn't bother me. Later S Boats the they were only conected to the decks and didn't bow.
Concur! When I was on her, when 'deep' there was space to pass a football between a stanchion and a ladder down on 3 deck! Amazing to see.

Chris P

War Hero
I geuss as a young fella we have no fear and don't question things, training prepares and conditions confidence in the 'system', but as the years pass things we would not have thought twice about certainly provoke some questioning if thinking about it, but maybe if circumstances happen where it has to be done then 'getting on with it' takes over.

Hmm, maybe a bit profound for a Sunday arvo!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Concur! When I was on her, when 'deep' there was space to pass a football between a stanchion and a ladder down on 3 deck! Amazing to see.
Sovereign JR's mess bulkhead (the Formica on) used to bow out in to 2 deck, as did the bulkhead by the garbo, as described previously. Certainly had to make sure all the doors on 2 deck were open.

Sumo

War Hero
Spartan on 2 deck, first deep dive after refit, deck tiles and bulkhead panel's buckled and splintered. One bod stuck in heads, door jammed shut.