Sundodgers United

pompeyexpat

War Hero
What a well written and nautically correct article.........

We’re always painting submarines blue.

Attachments

• 56C9EE05-039B-4570-9DF1-D8895C3E97F9.jpeg
    56C9EE05-039B-4570-9DF1-D8895C3E97F9.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
1000 people walked down the loch??? Like to have seen that! Must have been wearing Jesus sandals!

(From memory of written stuff) It could have been a much better and in depth article about the choice of location. At the time, the UK Government wanted it put up by Fort William, but the US said it had to be close to a city for airport and recreation. There was much wheeling and dealing.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I genuinely enjoyed that. I was also on Torbay in 2006; they failed to mention the issues with the first iteration of ‘Single Colour Better than Black’ as it was called, i.e. painting the boat in the water leaves a big black ring visible from the air and that it went from dark blue to turquoise on the trip to Kings Bay. ‍♂️

Wightsparker

War Hero
Good find SB, it would be interesting to know why the Iranians paint boats green.

I remember the Torbay experiment, and the O-boats coming back from the first Gulf War in camouflage. But I also have a dim recollection that in the distant past RN boats were painted in different colours. Home Fleet black/dark grey, Med Fleet green, Far East Fleet blue?

Wightsparker

War Hero
I remember the Torbay experiment, and the O-boats coming back from the first Gulf War in camouflage. But I also have a dim recollection that in the distant past RN boats were painted in different colours. Home Fleet black/dark grey, Med Fleet green, Far East Fleet blue?

Or possibly Med dark blue, Far East green?

Latest Threads