Sundodgers United

Polto

War Hero
Ear you go kids....

Can you help Ian Whitehouse raise £40000 to determine the practicality and cost of establishing a Cold War Maritime Heritage museum with a preserved HMS COURAGEOUS at its heart. Please donate to their JustGiving Crowdfunding Page: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hmscourageous?utm_id=102&utm_term=xkV7nbeBp

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I saw this advertised elsewhere and I have to admit that whilst I can see that there is some feasibility in this, I think that it would be exceptionally limited. In HMNB Devonport the heritage centre/museum as was, is either very near to closing or has actually shut. Many of the artefacts, in particular the figureheads have been moved to the new public museum and heritage centre 'The Box' (in the city centre) which is due to open anytime now. Throwing 40 grand to have a discussion about something that will take years to organise/build etc and then for it to subsequently shut through lack of interest seems to me like an awful lot of money and effort wasted. The previous facility in the yard struggled to open as it was. Still...let's see how quickly the money pot gets filled.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I saw this advertised elsewhere and I have to admit that whilst I can see that there is some feasibility in this, I think that it would be exceptionally limited. In HMNB Devonport the heritage centre/museum as was, is either very near to closing or has actually shut. Many of the artefacts, in particular the figureheads have been moved to the new public museum and heritage centre 'The Box' (in the city centre) which is due to open anytime now. Throwing 40 grand to have a discussion about something that will take years to organise/build etc and then for it to subsequently shut through lack of interest seems to me like an awful lot of money and effort wasted. The previous facility in the yard struggled to open as it was. Still...let's see how quickly the money pot gets filled.
I think Courageous and the museum being inside the dockyard wall didn't help, it wasn't easily accessible to the public.

Biker Buster

Lantern Swinger
I spent a week in the yard a few years back and didn't even know it could be visited.
Well miffed when I found out. I think it would be great to make this accessible to all

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

fishhead

War Hero
Think this suit was before my time
The thing that grabs my attention is the boat leaving harbour at a rate of knots while one of the casing party is stood on the "duck's arse" preparing to unrig the ensign staff with very little clearance to the oggin. It's a good job elf 'n safety weren't looking back then.

Wightsparker

War Hero
The thing that grabs my attention is the boat leaving harbour at a rate of knots while one of the casing party is stood on the "duck's arse" preparing to unrig the ensign staff with very little clearance to the oggin. It's a good job elf 'n safety weren't looking back then.
Interesting bit of history here. HMS Seraph was used in Operation Mincemeat in 1943 to deceive the Germans about the forthcoming attack on Sicily. A corpse dressed in the uniform of a Royal Marine officer was "planted" off the Spanish coast carrying documents which eventually convinced the Germans that Sicily was not the intended invasion site.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Interesting bit of history here. HMS Seraph was used in Operation Mincemeat in 1943 to deceive the Germans about the forthcoming attack on Sicily. A corpse dressed in the uniform of a Royal Marine officer was "planted" off the Spanish coast carrying documents which eventually convinced the Germans that Sicily was not the intended invasion site.
Filmed as "The Man Who Never Was", she was also USS Seraph for one sneaky operation.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
First Boat I ever set foot on, Portland around 1960, picked up their mail and signals along with ours for the Brocklesby and as there was no one around on the casing went down to find someone. I remember thinking what a shit hole, little knowing that a couple of years later I'd be drafted to Boats myself.

The seat from the the Wardroom head was framed with a plaque which said "General Mark Clark shat here." or something very similar, I think the Submarine Museum may hold it now.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Huh?

Description
All aboard! The Acey-Duecey Club is a pop-up tiki bar set inside a Cold War-era American submarine-themed space. The crew invites you to join and celebrate as a postmodern jukebox-like band plays pop covers adapted to nostalgic and sweet beats. If you're feeling inquisitive, you may choose to interact with the crew and environment to unlock the submarine's secrets. It’s going to be a night full of live musical performances and underwater scenery as you venture deeper and deeper into the dark blue! This immersive submarine-themed experience includes tiki cocktails and kitschy décor. The vessel is allowing passengers to board and navigate the depths of the ocean for a limited time only, so don’t delay. Come thirsty and leave with your sea legs!

slim

War Hero
Huh?

Description
All aboard! The Acey-Duecey Club is a pop-up tiki bar set inside a Cold War-era American submarine-themed space. The crew invites you to join and celebrate as a postmodern jukebox-like band plays pop covers adapted to nostalgic and sweet beats. If you're feeling inquisitive, you may choose to interact with the crew and environment to unlock the submarine's secrets. It’s going to be a night full of live musical performances and underwater scenery as you venture deeper and deeper into the dark blue! This immersive submarine-themed experience includes tiki cocktails and kitschy décor. The vessel is allowing passengers to board and navigate the depths of the ocean for a limited time only, so don’t delay. Come thirsty and leave with your sea legs!

No need to shower or dress up for the occasion

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rodgersthecabinboy One for the Sundodgers.. Diamond Lil's 5
scouse The Jocks don't want the Sundodgers Submariners 8
scouse Might bring back some memories for the Sundodgers Submariners 2
BillyNoMates Sundodgers Sportscar. Submariners 6
scouse Might be of interest to the Sundodgers??? Submariners 0
scouse Sundodgers crash one every year !!! Submariners 16
finknottle Do any of you sundodgers know him? The Quarterdeck 36
N Sundodgers take out Dippers The Fleet Air Arm 42
M What happens to sundodgers when they get to Captain? Submariners 23
MoD_RSS Commemoration of the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary of the United Nations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy supports United Nations Population Fund project in Ashgabat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bill introduced to protect jobs and trade across the whole of the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom supports the implementation of protocols against COVID-19 in municipal markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom-Colombia Trade Dialogue: A new relationship for a new world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom and Canada mark the one-year anniversary of the first Global Conference for Media Freedom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Nations Secretary General's report on the implementation of Resolution 73/295: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New dates agreed for COP26 United Nations Climate Change Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement from the UK, Australia, Canada, and United States on Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting the financial health of the United Nations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Everyone in the United Kingdom with symptoms now eligible for coronavirus tests MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom announces two COVID-19 response services for eligible developing countries to help combat the impact of the virus on international MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A proud partnership, a cherished friendship – UK and Israel united for 70 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Freight transport in the context of COVID-19: joint statement by the United Kingdom, France and Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary and COP26 President, Alok Sharma's statement at the COP26 Briefing to all Member States at the United Nations, New York MoD News 0
MoD_RSS City United Academy: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom lands in Genoa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV): our latest updates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Karen Pierce appointed as Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the United States of America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Levelling up research and innovation right across the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom continues working with Guatemala on prevention and mitigation of natural disasters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Astana FC vs Manchester United FC travel advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement by the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, United Kingdom and the EU High Representative on the JCPoA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom – a leader in climate protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Kingdom and Uzbekistan sign partnership and cooperation agreement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe supports stronger United Kingdom-Spain ties at annual talks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for Manchester United fans travelling to Serbia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United States crowns UK gin and wine blend with £90k export deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe commits to strengthening United Kingdom-Italy ties at Pontignano Conference 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42: UK Statement on Cooperation with the United Nations, its representative and mechanisms in the field of human rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement by the heads of state and government of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement of the Spokespersons of the High Representative, France, Germany and the United Kingdom on the JCPoA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CDEI and the Royal United Services Institute convene round tables to discuss the use of algorithms in policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement by the United Kingdom at the Extraordinary IAEA Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Kim Darroch, HMA to United States of America, to resign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe & Americas statement on the death of the Ambassador of the Republic of Armenia to the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Working together with the United Nations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0