Sunderland Echo: "Artist Chronicles Dismantling Of Navy Ship"

Discussion in 'RFA' started by soleil, Jan 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A new exhibition gives an insight into the painstaking process of demolishing a North East-built ship which went on to become part of the Royal Navy fleet.

Weighing in at 5,000 tonnes, Royal Fleet Auxiliary Grey Rover - which was built in Newcastle’s Swan Hunter yard with an engine made at Doxford’s yard in Sunderland - spent thirty years refuelling war ships before being shipped to Liverpool for destruction.

Photographer Tim Mitchell spent two years photographing her demolition to create a time-lapse video and still photos display called A Fish Out of Water, which has opened at National Glass Centre."

Artist chronicles dismantling of Navy ship ? watch his time-lapse video - Sunderland Echo
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Very good :):):)
  3. What an amazing video!

Most surprising thing was the amount of blue sky seen!
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I find it rather sad. All the history of a fine ship disappearing before your eyes. Gone, as though she never existed. I felt the same watching the Amethyst disappear the same way.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Very interesting video, and as Granny says sad. If you think of all the places and times that ship featured in the everyday life of a lot of mariners, a little bit like ourselves, one day here and then gone, I particularly like his phrase---- as if she never existed---- At least there is some visual evidence that she did indeed exist, and valuable in any archives.
  6. Sad end to the "Gay Raver" but its just like the end to most ships, how transient they are.
  7. Wow

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)