Sunday Times - RAF 'to double Fast Jet squadrons' in SDSR, Army to do badly...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Good CO, Sep 20, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Latest in the SDSR saga is in the Sunday Times today (I don't have online subscription so can't link actual article). Essentially its saying that current plans for SDSR are built around a growth back up to 12 Fast Jet squadrons by keeping the Tranche 1 typhoons in service and possibly the Tornado too for longer, in order to build up more mass in the FJ fleet. The RN is likely to grow by 2500 (10%) to fully man the carriers and submarine force.

Meanwhile the Army is likely to see senior ranks slashed, and vehicles mothballed and reduced opportunities - the review seems to be setting a course (if true!) for an Army that does relatively little, while the RN and RAF do the bulk of power projection.

Interesting if true!

(copied from ARRSE user jim30)

2. I also hear on the grapevine that the RN upper echelons are very confident that they'll do well out of this SDSR. Whether they'll be able to recruit/retain the skilled personnel is a very different question!

3. Count me in been offered DET 22 year REME (Army) to RN scheme

4. Safeguard, Raleigh's intake is increasing from next year, pre-empting SDSR or does someone already know what's in it.

Conspiracy theories on a postcard please :)

5. It could just be that the RN is well below manning in certain key trades so they're trying to sort that out by training more .....

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

no decisions taken yet, so any RAL uplift not linked to SDSR.

I think the RN will do very well from SDSR, the Army less so...

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It has been stated that the Navy needs to grow to actually continue its current tasking because redundancies were incorrectly calculated, not even taking into account the carriers and the upcoming SDSR.

Inevitably, now that combat ops in Afghanistan are regarded as a "mission accomplished", boneheaded MPs will conclude the Army is fair game for cuts. Or even bright ideas "Lets make squaddies sailors".

I still maintain that highly polished boots are a fire hazard on ships. It'll never work. ;)

Besides, Mr Cameron appears to have declared war in Syria without asking what parliament think about boots on the ground. It'll be "sailors to soldiers" before we know it.

8. Boot polish is a banned substance on submarines!

Just saying ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. And all that stamping of feet! We're in the patrol quiet state don't you know.
    :)
    Mind you, they should fit in well in the bun run!:p

10. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Can we get the 'More RNR Fuckwittery' thread back onto 'Featured' please? I'd like it to be a standing agenda item...

• Like Like x 1
  11. So is soap....Just saying :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. RN Navy Seals ?...........Oh look the Yanks are doing something different , let's copy them.

13. It's already happened, years ago. Bootnecks innit.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Oh go-on. :cool:

.....But only because I like the the thread title, the OP himself & the strange fact that post#1 has changed. :D

RESULT!

15. During the height of the Iraq War, the US ran a "blue to green" scheme where, IIRC, you kept you old pay and benefits but lost your rank as you transferred from USN/USAF to US Army/USMC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. I wouldn't say no 38k to be an able seaman

17. Ninja_Stoker

Careful, someone may take you at your word ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Just overheard something along these lines from a "Senior" with links to the MOD at work :)

19. Were you in a queue waiting to be served comestibles of some sort?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sat at my desk earwigging :)