Sun: "Woman To Run A Navy Warship For 1st Time Ever"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know I shouldn't say this, however, everything will be hunky dory for three weeks in every month bless her!! Good luck lass pushing the boundaries

2. Stan, you're right, you shouldn't say that, mainly on the basis it's not the 1950s anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  3. "WRENS make up 10% of a ships crew? First time a woman has commanded a fighting ship, yet it goes on to say she has captained mine-hunters - are they not fighting ships? Sloppy journalism at it's best!

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Lieutenant Commander Sarah West is to command

Is this you ATG? If so congratulations

5. Good luck to her as the big dipper of the Portland.

Yes poor journalism with it's poor factual research as usual but hey ho.

6. Well done Sarah. Just the sort of person the RN needs driving its ships these days.

On the journalism point, is it their poor research or our poor briefing, or both? Without all the sidetrack discussion about MCMVs being fighting ships, we all know that the first female DD/FF CO is actually quite a big thing, and instead of letting the Sun research it sloppily, why haven't we made something of it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. So right mate and please believe me it wasn't a serious comment good luck to her, after all I have a daughter who is serving and what a wonderful example to her and others like her.
    When I failed the AIB back in 93 it wasn't through bias or my background it is because I wasn't good enough.
    So please come down from the moral high ground, on Ark in 2003 I had 25 girls working for me and with just a couple of exceptions they beat the lads hands down, and may I add we were at war!!

8. As previously intimated, Sarah West has already commanded the minehunters Ramsey, Penzance, Pembroke and Shoreham. Her tenures included several Op TELIC MCM deployments in the Gulf.

I take my hat off to her.

9. tenures
    I fcuking love that word

10. Stan, wasn't having a go, just pointing it out ;)

11. 'kin 'ell Blobby will be gagging for it! Not only a female sailor but the Boss of a grey WarTaxi too.
    .....er,congrats Ma'am.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well it was obviously an 'off' day; p'raps there was no news about Princess Diana to publish... :roll:

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From the Mail
    So that's what PWO stands for?

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From The Sun
    Anywhere? Is her middle name Fitzcarraldo?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Indeed. Defending Britain's listed buildings - worldwide....

17. In fairness to the Mail, if you look for PWO as an acronym, it is easy to find the USNs Public Works Officer. What is not so easy to find is the fact that Pwo is the traditional navigators qualification, and we know how riddled Jack's vernacular is with words taken from other cultures.

So, any DM journalists reading this, you may want to change your copy to reflect the actuality.